The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Landmouse

Re: The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Post by Landmouse »

Woot! Twitter (http://twitter.com/linux_Mint) announced that it has been approved for RC release; congratulations, Kendall!
cholcombe973

Post by cholcombe973 »

Where can we find this iso for testing?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

The iso isn't up just yet, but it should be very soon.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... ox-RC1.iso
saquerocl

Post by saquerocl »

Great news. Thanks! I'm downloading and then installing!
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Congrats Kendall!
tawan

Post by tawan »

nice werk :D
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

Downloading now. Image
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

I tried to make a bootable flash drive with the new Fluxbox, but it didn't work. :(

Not sure if it was the flash key (I did use the USB creator) or the computer I tried it on (couldn't try it on my trusty laptop because of my BIOS is locked out).
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Thanks guys. There are a handful of known bugs that Clem pointed out that I've started working on. There will be an official bug thread in a day or two so try not to make an unofficial one. If you have something really pressing, send me a PM and I'll try to help as best I can.

@mintnoob: Did you check against the MD5?

b70be8c9caa4712cf109c66daa3a7f95

Either way I usually have a better success rate with unetbootin than with the alternatives, so you may want to give it a shot.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Just burnedthe RC1 to disk and tried it out. I haven't been a fan of Fluxbox in the past but, from the short test I just gave it, I could get to like it quite a lot.

I already love the menu presentation. Wish it could be ported to Gnome or XFCE desktop.

Great job Kendall, keep it up.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

just finished installing it! so far it feels a bit faster than my old setup but was it just me or did it take a long time on the flashing mint logo when booting from the cd? Anyways i need to start tweaking!
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

I downloaded it and installed it on my netbook. I really like the login screen and all in general. It's great. I was very sad when fluxbox had been discontinued, and I'm ecstatic that it is back. Just one question, where is the power management, battery monitor, etc.?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

caris_mere wrote:I downloaded it and installed it on my netbook. I really like the login screen and all in general. It's great. I was very sad when fluxbox had been discontinued, and I'm ecstatic that it is back. Just one question, where is the power management, battery monitor, etc.?
The biggest difference between this release and virtually every other full featured modern Linux distro is the fact that there is no "settings daemon" in this release, at all. As a result, there are a few things that have been done a bit differently. If you need to check the battery, hit Alt+F3 and a dialog box will come up revealing your current battery status. When the release notes page goes up, this will be mentioned.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

If I can guess worth a flip, then I'm guessing the official announcement and the documentation will come on Monday or Tuesday. As mentioned, there are a handful of known bugs, and I've been working toward resolving them. The official bug thread will likely accompany the official statement, and if you have anything then don't be afraid to post.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

i got my menus and most of my old setting all setup but im having two issues one minor one major. Im having bad sound issues, i got it all working again and then when i rebooted it was all screwd up again. im guessing theres some kind of clash between Pulse, Alsa and OSS. So i currently have no sound.... T_T The second issue is with networking, the old flux had an integration with thunar which isnt there anymore, i tryed using the "Shared Folder" thing but it doesnt work well like if i share a folder i can access it from another comp but i cant access the folders within that folder...

Edit: ok i rebooted again and all worked fine but......then i opened amarok.........and it played fine but after that mplayer and vlc have no sound..... so it seems amarok is changing something that screws it all up...
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Locrian wrote:i got my menus and most of my old setting all setup but im having two issues one minor one major. Im having bad sound issues, i got it all working again and then when i rebooted it was all screwd up again. im guessing theres some kind of clash between Pulse, Alsa and OSS.
Can you be a little more specific about the sound issue? Alsa should be handling everything, and PulseAudio is not installed.

EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and push an update here in an hour or so for mint-fluxbox-default-settings and mint-info-fluxbox. After updating, remove mplayer.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

ok heres the full story:

I installed amarok, and right after the install i had playback issues it would just keep skipping to the next track and play nothing, so a quick search revealed what i needed to install "libxine1-ffmpeg" so i did and amarok worked great. but i kept getting an error related to pulse so i checked and it wasen't installed so i did.....So amarok is working great and what not and i decided to play a video to see if it played correctly and it did but it had no sound, so i opened an mp3 to check again and also didn't have sound. Now i just verified that whenever amarok is running even if its not playing anything i have no sound from any other app.....
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

heheh i thought something like that was it but i had amarok in my old flux....
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Locrian wrote:heheh i thought something like that was it but i had amarok in my old flux....
The KDE software compilation (as they call it now) has been evolving very rapidly. So it is pretty much guaranteed that the Intrepid base will be very different from the Karmic one. If you want to use KDE applications and your machine can handle it, It would be much easier to just run KDE. You can tweak it to make it lighter.
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ZenDJiNN »

HI Kendall. :)

First, Kudos to you and whoever else is behind this release. Nice job indeed.

Haven't installed on a machine yet (Although will be doing so over the next few days) but i have installed in VirtualBox, and it's running very well. Haven't found any probs at all yet, and all in all i really like this release.

I'm now going to play some more whilst reading this thread fully & properly.

Keep up the great work and many thanks for reviving a much missed edition...... my version 6 Mint Flux can now be put away, having done sterling service up to now. :D

DJiNN

Return to “Software & Applications”