The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Post by shane »

I know you don't want daemons, Kendall... but if you use syndaemon you can have the touchpad be automatically disabled while typing and re-enabled a specified time after typing stops. You can also configure udev to disable the touchpad automatically when an external mouse is plugged in. I suppose that should cover most of the touchpad complaints.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Thanks Shane, I'll look into it and see what I can come up with.

I'm still trying to effectively get back into Python. I stopped messing with it altogether around version 2.2 and this is the first "from scratch" application I've built in it since probably 2004, so I'm a bit rusty to say the least.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Taking it a step farther. Basically just trying to integrate everything so that I can have the menus cleaned up a lot better for Mint 9, and this way I can rip off the .desktop file from lxinput.

shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I find myself looking for a youtube-style 'thumbs up' or facebook-style 'like' for posts like this... This is superb work Kendall!
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

There's an issue though. The terminal command "xset r rate <delay> <interval>" seems to not be working at all in Mint 8. This is what I was building the application off of. I could probably handle this by reintroducing the now seemingly obsolete xorg.conf file, but I want to look for other alternatives before going that route.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

@ikey: See if you can figure out how to change the keyboard repeat rate and delay without needing either root access or an xorg.conf file.

You'll need to add sms1, skl1, and sks1 to your autostart, and check to make sure it builds the ~/.linuxmint/tools directory with scripts named sms, skl, and sks upon running the different features of the application. You'll also probably want to drop Fluxbox and Fluxconf from the dependencies and remove the associated .desktop files before you build the package. Thanks a lot, by the way.

EDIT: I don't think I'm going to push the "more complete" version of this for Mint 8, but anyone is welcome to the source code attached to this post and is more than welcome to submit suggestions. Keep in mind it's a minimalist package and I plan on keeping it that way.

EDIT 2: I'm working on getting translations for this available. I need to learn how to use gettext right quick.
daquirm

Post by daquirm »

Hi Kendall,

it's has been almost 2 months since you dropped a line here. I can imagine, that you've been working more on Peppermint OS lately, as it was released this week. But is there a fixed schedule for Mint Fluxbox and do you consider making 64bit version in future, or debian based version?

Mint Fluxbox is perfect choice for me since it uses every package I have to later install on any other distro (expect of Thunar, I prefer pcmanfm2 from latest lubuntu repository, because it can do everything that thunar does and it has support for SMB shares, FTP, and it also mounts NTFS partitions by default)

Keep up your good work and thank you for creating such a good choice for Fluxbox users...With this OS I don't have to upgrade my PC for ages :D

Return to “Software & Applications”