Installed Gnome and Stuck in a Black screen with Mouse Point

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petreanko

Installed Gnome and Stuck in a Black screen with Mouse Point

Post by Petreanko »

Hello All,

I am a newbie here and I recently downloaded and installed Linux Mint 15 64bit, I am loving it with all my heart and I think I wouldn't be turning towards Windows again or atleast for a while. I have been looking at a few threads and tried install gnome.. all this while I was using cinnamon

I happened to stumble upon this thread : http://mambochimbo.blogspot.in/2013/05/to-do-top-things-to-do-after-installing_19.html?showComment=1371999671669#c7445722450107776534 and decided to try Gnome 3

I followed the steps as for the gnome 3 installation

Steps as given in the link :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

all went well without any errors... after working or playing around a while in Linux I rebooted my computer

I was presented with a different login screen than I usually see and I logged in and Bam as soon as I login I am presented with a Black screen and Mouse pointer, no matter how long I leave it it stays same.

Could someone please help me to get gnome running or help me to get back to Cinnamon... I don't want to go back to windows

I tried googling around for Black screen and mouse pointer in Gnome and followed a few steps as mentioned in couple of searches

I tried a few google tricks and this is what I get
1 I got CTRL+ALT +F1 and then login and press w and enter

Output is :

username tty from login tdle jcpu pcpu what
name tty1 14:42 31:24 0.9s 0,00s w
name tty7 :2 14:59 31:23 1.90s 0.04s gdm-session-wor

now I did the next step

2) export DISPLAY=:2.0

no errors or no output.. just back to the prompt.

then on to next step
3)gnome-shell --replace

tada - login screen pops again but once I login still the same black screen with just mouse pointer.

when I go to CTRL+ALT+F1

I see these 2 lines after I gave the command gnome shell replace

Out put or error is :

JS LOG: IBus version is too old
window manager warning: Log level 16: gnome-shell: fatal IO error 0 ( success) on X server : 2.0.

Could some one help me to get into the Desktop environment if not gnome atleast back to Cinnamon

Please please help me get back into Linux desktop :)

Thanks all help is appreciated!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installed Gnome and Stuck in a Black screen with Mouse P

Post by herbie643 »

I had a similar problem. When you get to the Login screen press the 'white dot' above your Username (in your case it might have the 'Gnome foot'), then choose the Cinnamon login. LightDM doesn't display a Session option.

That should get you going temporarily until you figure out what went wrong.
Petreanko

Post by Petreanko »

Thanks for the response and my bad not closing the thread.. having waited a few days... I decided to reinstall Mint itself ... so yeah a fresh start.

Thanks though for your inputs.

mods can close this thread.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

That's good to hear, too bad you had to do a reintstall.
No problem in not closing the thread, I hadn't been here in a while.

Return to “Software & Applications”