How to run just a Window manager?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonass

How to run just a Window manager?

Post by jonass »

Probably a simple question, but how do I run with just a Window manager? I recently tried e17 and really enjoyed it, but I've only ever installed from a live cd. How would I go about installing and just running e17?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to run just a Window manager?

Post by palo »

Hi jonass If you mean by that you want to start with just a window manager and add the applications you want as in build your own OS - it would be very complicated. If you want to just use E17 with the applications you have it is easy and the instructions [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=110719]here[/url] can help. Couple of notes;
*on the first run wizard you will likely get a Segv'd when it is looking for Connman- just continue and no harm done - I use NM with no problems.
*if using MATE as a base e will not find the menu because it is not in the typical location - easy fix.
*enjoy E17 for maybe about a month because E18 is expected to be released in July.

HTH
Pat
jonass

Post by jonass »

Thanks for the info Palo. So I think I must have misunderstood, when people talk about just running a window manager as opposed to a full DE, are they just logging into fluxbox, openbox, e17, etc at the login screen as opposed to logging into mint?
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

I think I understand what you are asking and the expression
just running a window manager
is misleading because a window manager with nothing else is pointless yet the expression is widely used. See [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=314893#p314893]this[/url] for some more information. I think the expression more loosely means using a "lightweight" window manager such as fluxbox,openbox,E17 etc. instead of the more heavy and feature-rich manager that is included with a DE (like Gnome, Cinnamon, KDE etc.) although a DE can be made with a lightweight window manager for sure. The different lightweight window managers generally install w/o extra applications (or minimal as some have their own file manager) and have some similarities and differences but generally they are going to respond faster. Adding a lightweight window manager as a session that is available on the login screen is the safest way to change how your desktop and windows behave and look without causing any change to be made to your applications. Just logout and login to your regular DE again and you will see nothing has changed there (provided you did not explicitly access and change some setup parameter for your base DE from your session which, of course, you could do - it's not exactly like being in Vegas) .

Pat
jonass

Post by jonass »

Thanks for clarifying for me I thought that you could install just fluxbox, openbox, e17 etc by it self and then only use that, no ubuntu or mint or anything else.

Return to “Software & Applications”