export contacts and photos from iPhone to Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ccc

export contacts and photos from iPhone to Mint

Post by ccc »

Hi

How to export contacts and photos from iPhone 5 to Mint with LXDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: export contacts and photos from iPhone to Mint

Post by Flemur »

Perhaps not the answer you want, but -

To transfer photos with a silly Android phone, hook up the USB to computer and phone, select "USB mass storage" on the phone (NOT "media transfer"** or something similar), then with a file browser (thunar, etc) you'll see a filesystem unhelpfully called "XX GB filesystem", go to directory DCIM/Camera and the pics are there: copy or cut/paste to some directory on the computer just like normal files. **Media Transfer" for contacts? ...dunno.

To copy new ringtones from computer to phone, copy MP3 files from computer to phone in phone's "Android/data/" or "media/audio/notifications/" directories.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jastombaugh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: export contacts and photos from iPhone to Mint

Post by jastombaugh »

As an iphone 5c user, let me sympathize with your issue. Let me encourage you, though... this is do-able.
(It just isn't going to be as simple as plugging the phone in. Keep in mind, we are dealing with a manufacturer that 'blesses' their drives to make them bootable.)

Step 1> Ensure your phone is active, has cellular signal, and is connected to the internet. You will also need to have your email set up on your iPhone.

Step 2> On the iPhone, you'll go to Contacts > [person] > Share Contact > by Email
Your phone will create an email with a *.vcf attachment of your [person] contact. Send this email to yourself.

Step 3> Check your email on your Linux computer. Thunderbird and Evolution are both excellent email clients that understand how to import *.vcf contacts.

I know this is just a cheesy work-around, but it gets the basic job done. I believe there is a way to setup a dropbox account and use it like an LDAP server to publish and sync your contacts/calendars with your iPhone and non-sanctioned hardware, but I haven't tried this approach yet.

Someday, we'll get a linux phone and playing with iToys will seem as crude as it actually is.

Good luck!

Return to “Software & Applications”