Replacing Cinnamon completely with LXDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ashfaq

Replacing Cinnamon completely with LXDE

Post by ashfaq »

I just felt like trying out LXDE complete on my eisting Cinnamon Destop Environment. I downloded the LXDE meta-package with synaptic, logged into LXDE session, but I found, that in lxteminal, I am not able to paste anything with right clicking, also the default shortcuts and icons on my Desktop created in Cinnamon session, remain as it is. What I want is a complete feel of virgin Lxde with all its default applications and window manager.

Well I have already saved, my image with Cinnamon, if I don't find LXDE worth after trying, I can always go back to my stable os. It is just that I want to see, and check out myself, does, LCDE speed up the working in any way?
Please help me out, in doing this, I could delete the Cinnamon files if that is a requirement, as I had mentioned, I have already cloned my original system.

Hope someone will help me out to satisfy my curiousity.

Thanks in Advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Replacing Cinnamon completely with LXDE

Post by cwsnyder »

If you are just 'trying out' LXDE, have you considered just using Lubuntu or Knoppix live disks, or even making a small LXDE partition on your hard drive?
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

cwsnyder wrote:If you are just 'trying out' LXDE, have you considered just using Lubuntu or Knoppix live disks, or even making a small LXDE partition on your hard drive?
:) Yes I am ready with a 10GB independent partition, but insteaf of going with live lubuntu, I want to convert my Nadia Cinnamon to LXDE. Well experts are doing it, I just want the help to get is through successfully!
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

I had waited for a week and more, it seems no one wants to experiment, and go for pure LXDE, Or are shy of helping me, is their a reason for that, please guide me, if this step is going to be problematic, I would drop the idea, but at-least let me t\know the odds- options.

I hope someone will step out to help me out with reasoning!
Thanks in Advance!
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

You can probably just install the lxde-desktop package to ADD the lxde desktop and select it from your mdm login session. Complete changeover would require removing the Cinnamon/GNOME packages, which may break part of LXDE. I don't have the time to do it for you, and you should probably do this in a virtual machine so that you can back up to a previously saved snapshot when something breaks. This is not a supported distribution, and you are talking about doing all of your own integration.

In case you haven't already figured it out, this is a lot of work and time to totally replace your existing desktop with another.
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BoscoBearbank »

I've done the replacement; it was a matter of getting the LXDE desktop running, then, piece-by-piece deleting Cinnamon components. I used synaptic to remove packages, and watched carefully to ensure that I wasn't going to remove something that would break LXDE

Return to “Software & Applications”