Home directory crashes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stargazer76

Home directory crashes

Post by stargazer76 »

I have been attempting to move files from my home directory, however, every time I attempt to open the home folder to view its contents, it begins to open and then the window just closes abruptly. I have alot of pictures stored there and wondering if this is because of the large amount of memory used? It appears that I have 2 GB left and 27 GB or so used.

We can see the list of files using a terminal, but unable to determine the file name of the USB flash drive in order to move the files off.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stargazer76

Re: Home directory crashes

Post by stargazer76 »

Can someone help me determine what drive a USB flash drive is so that I can try copying some of these files off of the computer?
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I doubt your problem is caused by a large number of files. I have some hard drives with nearly 1TB of content and hundreds of thousands of files and they open fine. There should only be a problem if you have under the minimum recommended amount of RAM (I think 512MB).

A possible cause of your problem might be that one or more of the files in your home are corrupted due a deteriorating hard drive. This sort of thing often causes programs to close unexpectedly.

There are many methods to find the path of you flash drive. If it's automatically mounted when you plug it in (the default behaviour), then type the following command into the terminal and press Enter:

Code: Select all

lsblk
You should be able to identify your flash drive from the 'SIZE' column. For example, if your flash drive's capacity is 8GB, there will be an entry of or around '8G'. On the same line in the 'MOUNTPOINT' column, will be written the path to your flash drive (it will be in /media/<your username>/<some other directory>).
stargazer76

Post by stargazer76 »

Thank you buzzsaw! I was able to move all of my pics off of my home directory. As I moved them off of the computer, it started to run much faster.

Now...I have another issue.

I no longer have a Menu/Start option in my panel/tool bar. Where did it go? Is there another way that I can connect to a wireless network and update the new passward?

This computer is frustrating #1!! :)
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Right click on your panel and put it into panel edit mode, then right click again and 'add to panel' and then look for mint menu (I think) and add that to the panel - then don't forget to take the panel out of edit mode so you can use it!

Not sure what you mean about your password, can you explain in more detail what it is you're trying to do. . . .
stargazer76

Post by stargazer76 »

I am just trying to get to my wireless settings, so that I can locate the wireless router where I am staying now, so that I can access the internet. Without the toolbar, I am unable to find it.

Where did the toolbar/Menu/start go?
stargazer76

Post by stargazer76 »

It worked!! WHOOHOO!! Thank you so much!!
stargazer76

Post by stargazer76 »

One more issue....when I boot up, apparently I have Firefox set to start up as my default browser. However, there seems to be something wrong with it. It takes over 35 minutes to return an error and never connects. When I fire up Chrome manually, i can browse quickly and easily.

How do I find where I have Firefox set in my startup so that I can remove it?
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Go into your stytem settings through the menu and look for the icon for Preferred Applications, you can set your browser preferrence there.

Return to “Software & Applications”