How to install alongside 4 DE editions of Linux Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TBK

How to install alongside 4 DE editions of Linux Mint?

Post by TBK »

I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 32bit and I want to install Mate, KDE, Xfce alongside Cinnamon. I have tried to install them:
+ Mate: "sudo-apt get install mint-meta-mate" ( in terminal )
+ KDE: KDE full ( in Softwave Manager)
+ Xfce: xfce4 ( in Softwave Manager)
After installing, I try to use them:
+ Mate: have some error
+ KDE plasma & Xfce session: they don't look like KDE & Xfce Linux Mint edition
I want to have KDE & Xfce like KDE & Xfce Linux Mint edition, please help me!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBK

Re: How to install alongside 4 DE for Linux Mint?

Post by TBK »

Should I remove all Xfce4 & KDE-full?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the XFCE should be fine,
- maybe just remove the KDE component.

generally, you can add a lighter DE to an existing DE set-up,
but adding a heavy DE such as KDE or Cinnamon to an existing set-up - can be tricky.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I hope you are awared that when you add a few DEs on the same installation, there will be a lot of duplicating programs...

For example, file manager, editor, etc ..

Take a look at my installation, this is Debian 6 RC2, with xfce+kde+lxde+xfce+openbox+mate

I am on xfce now and just capture 'Accessories' to show up how much are in there..

http://i62.tinypic.com/nodfnm.png
TBK

Post by TBK »

I have reinstall linux mint cinnamon 32bit, now I want to know what pacpage I need to select to install KDE, Mate, Xfce full edition of Linux Mint in "Pacpage Manage" and how to not add duplicate programs?
thinkrorbot

Re: How to install alongside 4 DE editions of Linux Mint?

Post by thinkrorbot »

I managed to uninstall most of KDE's duplicate programs over Cinnamon and you should be able to safely uninstall almost all of the duplicate programs. I just kept bluedevil, konsole, kate and Dolphin. There probably will be unnecessary dependencies taking up space. I can't speak for other desktop environments but on KDE, you can't start mint software center via start menu and you have to use terminal.
TBK

Post by TBK »

What must I do to have what I want?
chrisonmint

Post by chrisonmint »

TBK wrote:What must I do to have what I want?
Well, the suggestion above was to install the art packages, this is what your xfce and other DE's are missing to look properly like the "MINT" version.

I went to Software Manager and did a search for "mint" and in the list are probably the things you are missing.

eg:
mint-artwork-gnome - "default artwork for linux mint"
mint-backgrounds-xfce - "desktop backgrounds for xfce"
mint-artwork-kde
mint-artwork-mate
mint-artwork-xfce
mint-artwork-kde-icons
mint-configuration-kde

and lots more. once installed, you might have to specifically select the icon sets on each DE, I guess. Have a play around and see how you get on.
TBK

Post by TBK »

I installed Linux Mint Mate 17.1 32 bit and also upgraded to 17.2. Now, I have installed Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce and Gnome.
Cinnamon and Xfce don't have problem, my default language is Vietnamese and Cinnamon & Xfce auto display this language but KDE display English. I install Gnome via Terminal (I have followed the tutorial in this page: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1829):
"sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-shell-extensions gnome-tweak-tool
sudo apt-get install gnome-contacts gnome-control-center"
but I don't install gdm and user-guide. After installation process, I log out and try to launch Gnome but it only display black screen with the cursor, I wait a few minutes but don't have any changes, I restart and try to login again with Gnome but it still the same. I don't now how to fix it.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

TBK wrote:After installation process, I log out and try to launch Gnome but it only display black screen with the cursor, I wait a few minutes but don't have any changes, I restart and try to login again with Gnome but it still the same. I don't now how to fix it.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=176072

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”