Taskbar like in Windows 95/98

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cucumis

Taskbar like in Windows 95/98

Post by Cucumis »

I am a Windows user and I would like to try Linux. I have learned that Mint GUI is similar to the Windows one, but I am not sure if it is similar enough. Let's imagine I have just opened three windows of Firefox, two windows of a word processor and one folder. I want my taskbar to look like this:

But definitely not like this:

I want every window to be represented by its own separate icon/button on my taskbar, without any grouping. Is there any edition of Mint where this is possible?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Taskbar like in Windows 95/98

Post by karlchen »

Hello,Cucumis.

You are free to download and try out any Linux Mint live system with any available desktop environment (Mate, Cinnamon, xfce, KDE) from this webpage: Editions for Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela"
Try out the different desktop environments and choose the one which runs best on your hardware and which you like most.

I can promise you that none of the bottom panels which you will see will look Windows 7, with or without grouping, let alone like Windows 98. Linux Mint is a Linux based operating system, not any kind of Windows clone, just for free. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Cucumis wrote:I want every window to be represented by its own separate icon/button on my taskbar, without any grouping. Is there any edition of Mint where this is possible?
That's exactly what I get on Linux Mint 17.0 Cinnamon. Maybe it would group them if I had more windows open, but they don't with 15 windows open, anyway.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

OK, just out of curiosity, I opened over 65 documents in separate windows. There is no grouping. Now I gotta go close all those windows.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

jimallyn wrote:OK, just out of curiosity, I opened over 65 documents in separate windows. There is no grouping. Now I gotta go close all those windows.
I heard somewhere that, in order to see grouping, you've got to open 256 separate windows.

Just kidding! :lol:

BtW, Cucumis, you may not be aware of this if you're still using Microsoft's Windows 95/98 OS, but Firefox uses tabs now - no need to open multiple versions of the application these days :roll: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Cucumis

Post by Cucumis »

Thank you very much for your replies, I will try Cinnamon.

BTW, of course I know Firefox offers tabs, but I don't like them, I don't want to have two taskbars instead of one.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<offtopic>
Tabs in internet browsers are an absolute "must have". They improve my user experience enormously. I would never use a browser that does not offers the feature of "tabbed browsing".
</offtopic>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

<also offtopic>
Personally I like both, tabs for regular use, separate browser windows (placed side by side) for quick specification comparison of similar tech products from the same company.
</also offtopic>
reddot

Post by reddot »

jimallyn wrote:OK, just out of curiosity, I opened over 65 documents in separate windows. There is no grouping. Now I gotta go close all those windows.
if you use linux mint 17.2 mate,and libreoffice with 65 documents open, if you hit ctrl+q you will close libreoffice and all documents, ctrl+w closes only one document, spreadsheet etc. if you look at the text editor "pluma" it opens in tabs inside the editor like a modern browser, i prefer "zim desktop wiki" if im going to make text files. I never heard of workspaces in windows, i currently use 18 and growing, i usually have less than 3 programs per workspace, but sometimes more than 9 (all different programs). Its way cleaner than just one panel with 10 window list(10 programs open shown inside the taskbar "panel"). I started using a dedicated linux distro back when ubuntu 10.4 came out, i liked more gnome 2 DE(now mate DE continuation of gnome 2 DE) than windows, i can multitask way more efficiently than windows, sadly i dont recommend the windows look and functionally, you will find something better than windows DE in most linux distros,
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Coincidentally, tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of Win95 shipping: http://www.techcentral.co.za/windows-95-turns-20/59179/

It's still for sale at Amazon in case you’re interested. http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Softwar ... B000NRY05G

Here's one of the comments from someone who has:
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
Good upgrade over Windows 10
By Lukasz Rewerenda on August 23, 2015
I've upgraded to Windows95 from Windows 10. I am honestly not sure how they are still selling the "10" while "95" is already out there. I am sure a lot of people will be disappointed to find out their new computer shipped with a version that's already outdated.

Everything works much better than in Windows 10. I use Excel 2003 and Word 6 a lot and you can expect *huge* performance improvements - those things fly! I guess my hardware, with a Intel i7 4770k and 16Gb of RAM was not up to the task with Windows 10. Windows 95 is much more optimized and expect things to run *a lot* faster.

The only complaint I have is it does not ship with Chrome, and you are forced to run some new browser called Netscape Navigator. It looks kind of ascetic but on the up side - it is *so* much faster than anything in Windows 10 and it does not run those annoying flash ads or autoplay videos.

Overall a very decent upgrade over the previous version (10). That's the version we've been waiting for ever since XP!
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I do not really understand the discussion about grouping (65 or 256 or what ever): The OP wrote in his first post, that he does not want grouping, the contrary would also be more than astonishing, as grouping did never exist in W 9x.
If somebody feels more comfortable with single tab browser windows, it is his decision. (I wouldn't do this, but that is me.) You can still close all windows of firefox with one command by either using the sandwich icon -> quit or pressing ctrl-q.

BTW: In Cinnamon you can close all open programs via right clicking a taskbar icon -> close all.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@altair:
That is good. Even better: The price for W 95 is $ 95,- :!: A really special offer, as MS-DOS 6.22 costs $ 113.99 8)

In a few years the comments might get "enhanced" with complaints, that they cannot install firefox 95 on W 95. :roll:
reddot

Post by reddot »

altair4 wrote:Coincidentally, tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of Win95 shipping: http://www.techcentral.co.za/windows-95-turns-20/59179/

It's
$100 WTH!!!, and if i opera 12.16 does not work im not using win95
Cosmo. wrote:I do not really understand the discussion about grouping (65 or 256 or what ever): The OP wrote in his first post, that he does not want grouping, the contrary would also be more than astonishing, as grouping did never exist in W 9x..................
I did forget to add that i have not seen grouping in mate, i dont know about the other DE in mint cinnamon, kde, xfce or any other DE. i use mate
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

reddot wrote:I did forget to add that i have not seen grouping in mate, i dont know about the other DE in mint cinnamon, kde, xfce or any other DE. i use mate
Being well aware that the thread starter does not want to use grouping in the taskbar, let me add this:
I have just checked it on xfce 4.12:
By default application grouping seems to be off, but it can be switched on.
(As I use a localized version, I am too lazy right now to try to translate into English the exact steps through the menus to get there. :wink:)
Lifeline
reddot

Post by reddot »

I wanted to show you how the panel looks with 15 open programs, none are grouped. keep in mind the limited space i have, i use 18 workspaces, mate netspeed and mate sensor applet. the open windows will only turn into an icon if theres no room in you panel. This is on linux mint 17.2 mate. my window list is in the bottom panel.

15 open programs shown in bottom panel as icons
Programs organized in their proper workspace, if you look closely, you can see gimp title on the window list inside the panel, once there is no space they turn into icons.

postimg might be having problems ill check this post again

anyone want to post cinnamon? is there grouping?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

reddot wrote:anyone want to post cinnamon? is there grouping?
I already did that, although I didn't post an image of it. There is no grouping in Cinnamon with 65 windows open.

Return to “Software & Applications”