How do I upgrade my multi DE environment.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hellwoodfire

How do I upgrade my multi DE environment.

Post by hellwoodfire »

I have a Linux Mint 17.2 installation with 4 desktop environment (DE) :D (the favorite of each member of my familly).
The base DE was Cinnamon because I started with Mint 17.2 Cinnamon Edition... but after that I manually added KDE, MATE and XFCE manually. I did this by using the commande line, for exemple:
http://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/instal ... rch-linux/ .

Then, I upgraded to 17.3 using the option in the software manager in the Cinnamon DE.
But the others DE have not upgraded. :(

HOW do I upgrade the others DE ? :idea: Can I upgrade everything at once ?
Can I just hack Mint to make it think that my distro is XFCE for example and than use the same option in the software manager, and then, do the same hack for each remaining DE ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I upgrade my multi DE environment.

Post by Hoser Rob »

You followed those instructions? Jeez, there are some crap blogs out there. Installing 4 DEs is a bad idea even if you install all of them from the repos, as you should. But doing it from a ppa?

At this point you have almost certainly frakked up your install. Back up your data and reinstall the DE you really want. Just one this time.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, hellwoodfire.

Most important question first:

What exactly is it that makes you assume that Update Manager upgraded your Cinnamon, but not xfce, KDE and Mate, when upgrading from Mint 17.2 to Mint 17.3?

Preface:

1.5 years ago I installed Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon on one of my machines. Later on I added the xfce desktop to it. Not by using the Xubuntu Developers PPA like you, but by following this instruction: xfce instead of mate (Do not let yourself be confused by the title. The link leads to an instruction on how to add the Mint xfce desktop to the (primary) Cinnamon desktop.)
At that point in time I was running Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon + xfce.
When Mint 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon and Mint 17.1 Rebecca xfce had both been released and the upgrade from Mint 17 to Mint 17.1 through Update Manager enabled for both, I simply upgraded Mint 17.0 Cinnamon + xfce to Mint 17.1 Cinnamon + xfce through the Linux Mint Update Manager.
Upgraded level 1, 2 and 3 software packages. Worked like a charm.
Since then I am running Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon + xfce.
The system works like a charm. Switching between Cinnamon and xfce in the login screen works like a charm. Cinnamon and xfce do not interfere with each other. (Took some extra steps not mentioned in the linked thread above, to make sure they do not do so.)

Annotation:

I have never considered adding two more DE's to the Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon + xfce system, KDE and Mate. The main reason for not doing so is that this will envitably lead to some level of clutter, because each DE will bring along a list of system applications, which each of the 3 other DE's will bring along, too.

But basically, having 4 DE's on Linux Mint 17.2 should work / should have worked.

About upgrading Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon + xfce + KDE + Mate to Mint 17.3 in one go:

Basically even this should have worked / should work, provided you have not done so before Mint 17.3 was available for all 4 desktop environments.
The announcement that Update Manager permitted upgrading from Mint 17.2 to Mint 17.3 for all 4 DE's was published January 6th, 2016: Upgrade path to 17.3 now open for all editions

Unless you have tried to upgrade your Mint 17.2 4 DE's to Mint 17.3 before January 6th, 2016, Update Manager should have been able to upgrade your whole system in one go.

Potential Pitfalls:

xfce:
You have not added the Linux Mint xfce DE to your Mint 17.2, but xfce from the Xubuntu Developers. This may have brought about some differences which may have prevented the Update Manager from correctly upgrading your xfce when it upgraded Mint 17.2 including the Cinnamon DE to Mint 17.3.

Mate / KDE:
You have not explained how exactly you have added Mate and KDE to your system. In case you have added them in a non-standard way like your xfce, then this may have "confused" Update Manager.

Most important question repeated:

What exactly is it that makes you assume that Update Manager upgraded your Cinnamon, but not xfce, KDE and Mate, when upgrading from Mint 17.2 to Mint 17.3?

Note:

"inxi -S" will always just display the currently loaded desktop environment and its version, never any additional DE.
So in order to find out which
  • Cinnamon you are using, you have to login to Cinnamon and run "inxi -S".
  • Mate you are using, you have to login to Mate and run "inxi -S".
  • xfce you are using, you have to login to xfce and run "inxi -S".
  • KDE you are using, you have to login to KDE and run "inxi -S".
Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
hellwoodfire

Post by hellwoodfire »

Thank you karlchen!
You right: I have added the others DE in a non-standard way like my xfce, then this have "confused" my Update Manager.
I assume that Update Manager did not upgraed xfce, KDE and Mate (when upgrading from Mint 17.2 to Mint 17.3) because the inxi -S give me the previous version.
I will retry all the process from 17.2 in a VM but using the "instruction: xfce instead of mate" you suggested.
Thank you !

Return to “Software & Applications”