Lumina desktop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlekseyK

Lumina desktop

Post by AlekseyK »

Any plans to include Lumina desktop packages into Mint? Can't install following for now because of missed dependencies:
https://lumina-desktop.org/get-lumina/#debian-testing
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Lumina desktop

Post by xenopeek »

You should probably use the Debian 8 instructions on that page if you're using Linux Mint 17.x or LMDE 2. For Linux Mint 18 you may indeed need to use the Debian testing instructions you linked to. For Linux Mint 13 see on that page instructions for compiling from source.

Linux Mint supports the 4 desktop environments most popular with its users. This is the second topic on Lumina on this board so for now Linux Mint can't justify to all other users to spend time on Lumina. As it stands Lumina won't be available on Linux Mint unless its added to either Debian or Ubuntu repositories.
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

xenopeek wrote:You should probably use the Debian 8 instructions on that page if you're using Linux Mint 17.x or LMDE 2.
It contains old version of Lumina.
xenopeek wrote:For Linux Mint 18 you may indeed need to use the Debian testing instructions you linked to. For Linux Mint 13 see on that page instructions for compiling from source.
Can't install for now as I said.
xenopeek wrote:As it stands Lumina won't be available on Linux Mint unless its added to either Debian or Ubuntu repositories.
Ok, hope it will be available in Ubuntu or Debian.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Version of that is likely too old as well MtnDewManiac. 1.0.0 was released this month and I guess OP wants that and not 0.8.8 from the PPA.

I think you're stuck with compiling it from source AlekseyK. Or wait for somebody else to do the work for you and make a PPA available.
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

xenopeek wrote:I think you're stuck with compiling it from source AlekseyK.
No, I have not problem with it, however prefer some packages or PPA available.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

xenopeek wrote:Version of that is likely too old as well MtnDewManiac. 1.0.0 was released this month and I guess OP wants that and not 0.8.8 from the PPA.
Ah. I did not pay any attention to the version number (as I did not know what the current version is), only that it appeared to be for Xylophone or whatever Ubuntuspeak is for "16.04," which I know is the version that Mint 18 is based on. Which meant (AfaIK) that the OP shouldn't run into any dependency issues or the like.

OP, you might contact the maintainer of that PPA to encourage him to compile and upload the current version. I suppose that it is possible that he has tried and ran into dependency issues that could not be satisfied or not without breaking something in *buntu, though.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

MtnDewManiac wrote:OP, you might contact the maintainer of that PPA to encourage him to compile and upload the current version.
Sent message to maintainer.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Good luck. If you find a solution, please post it in this thread. The requirement of having Qt5/KDE stuff would keep me from trying it, but other Mint users may be interested.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

MtnDewManiac wrote:The requirement of having Qt5/KDE stuff would keep me from trying it
It does not require KDE, only Qt5 - lightweight and fast DE. Want to try it instead of KDE.
Tech Freak

Post by Tech Freak »

Hi,

I tried to install Lumina desktop under Mint 18 MATE following this: https://lumina-desktop.org/get-lumina/#source-debian

But i get stuck when i run the qmake command. Reading the how-to is should provide some output:
Note that after running qmake, there should be a message about detecting Debian for the OS-compatibility – otherwise you may need to run “qmake LINUX_DISTRO=Debian”
Finally, we build and install the desktop. These steps will likely take several minutes to complete.
But i don't get that output.

What am i doing wrong here?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I can't see Mint or Ubuntu supporting a DE that doesn't even have binary packages available any time soon.

Building a DE (or any other app IMO) from source is NOT particularly a noob level project. The chances of breaking things are somewhere between very highly likely and certain. Unless you have a spare computer that you can afford to break the OS on it I'd leave it alone if I were you.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Tech Freak

Post by Tech Freak »

Hoser Rob wrote:I can't see Mint or Ubuntu supporting a DE that doesn't even have binary packages available any time soon.

Building a DE (or any other app IMO) from source is NOT particularly a noob level project. The chances of breaking things are somewhere between very highly likely and certain. Unless you have a spare computer that you can afford to break the OS on it I'd leave it alone if I were you.
I was able to add the Lumina desktop using a PPA and using this tutorial: http://www.ubuntumaniac.com/2016/10/how ... 11-on.html

First i was not able to logout and log back in using the Lumina desktop but this was due to the missing Lightdm login screen. After installing Lightdm i was able to login Lumina and using it. It takes some time to learn this desktop environment, but it looks clean, fast.

Return to “Software & Applications”