[Solved] LXDE missing from session options in MDM

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ginjabunny

[Solved] LXDE missing from session options in MDM

Post by ginjabunny »

Hi,

Rather than install Lubuntu-desktop (and all the baggage that comes with it) I thought I'd have a look at vanilla LXDE for and older PC, so I installed Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit, installed all the updates, then LXDE from the software manager, when I logout/reboot I cannot choose LXDE at logon as it does not appear in the pull down list of sessions on MDM. I checked the Login Window control app anf it's not listed in there either, I presume there is a config file somewhere that's hasn't been added to and as I don't know the syntax of what to add I'm at a bit of a loss.

I tried it on my laptop too and that is the same.

Any idea how to get it added?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LXDE missing from session options in MDM

Post by Flemur »

This might help:
viewtopic.php?t=225089
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

@Flemur, there is nothing in that post to help me, is says the same as mine but with no resolution.

Been hunting around and I think there should be some .desktop files for LXDE and/or Openbox in /usr/share/xsessions, just need to find out what they should be.
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

Figured it out, it seems just installing LXDE from Software Manager does not install everything, importantly things like openbox and lxsession are missing, so I uninstalled lx* everything via Software Centre then closed it, started synaptic and picked the lx* packages that looked important, when I picked lxde-common (which wasn't installed with lxde in software manager) and it said it was also installing openbox, this created the missing xsession files that appear in mdm, so logged in using lxde session and it all seems to be working

Return to “Software & Applications”