Keyboard issues with SDL without window manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phulshof

Keyboard issues with SDL without window manager

Post by phulshof »

Edit: Post updated with all findings so far

I recently switched my computer over from Kubuntu 16.04 to Mint KDE 18. Since this computer is used as an Arcade machine from time to time, I set up an xsession (via a .desktop file) to start up my Arcade front-end RetroFE directly on top of X. Everything works fine until I've selected a game, and return from it. At that point in time, my keyboard is no longer functioning.

This appears to be an issue with all SDL based programs. If I start an xterm in stead, launch a non-SDL program from it, and close that program, my keyboard works as expected. If I launch an SDL program, and close that program, my keyboard is non-responsive. I can still select and copy/paste using my mouse, but my keyboard does not function (other than e.g. CTRL-ALT-F1 to switch to a terminal). If I use the mouse to start a new SDL program, the keyboard functions again within that program, but closing the program ends my keyboard actions.

When I use a window manager like KDE, no such problem exists.

Any thoughts what might cause this? This worked perfectly fine within Kubuntu, so I'm wondering what might be the cause.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phulshof

Re: Keyboard issues with SDL without window manager

Post by phulshof »

Might this be related to the libsdl version? I think that and the X version are about the only differences between the two setups. Still not sure how a closed program still impacts the keyboard behaviour.

Return to “Software & Applications”