File too big?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ChristianR
Level 2
Level 2

File too big?

Postby ChristianR » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:59 am

I am trying to copy a 5,2GB file from my computer to a USB-Stick.
But the copy stops at 4.3GB telling - "file too big" - although there are 50GB left...
I maybe in the wrong forum - but maybe there is also a simple answer?
Thank you,
Christian

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: File too big?

Postby austin.texas » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:12 am

If your USB is formatted FAT32, the maximum file size is 4GB
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2017

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:47 am

There are 2 alternatives:
1. reformat the stick with ntfs or ext4
2. compress the file into an archive. Possibly this reduces the file size enough, otherwise you have the option to split the file in several parts if you choose 7z as container format; possibly you need to install the package p7zip-full fo this.

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:38 am

If you're all-linux, you can use split to, uh, split the file into pieces, then use cat to make it back into one file (I'm not sure windows, etc, can do that). If not all-linux, "rar" can create a windows-readable multi-part archive consisting of smaller files.
Mint 18.2 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less - Xubuntu 16.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MtnDewManiac » Wed May 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Seems like I once (years ago) used something that was cross-platform to split/join files. I believe it might have been HJSPLIT, but cannot swear to it.

Today I'd probably just format the USB drive Ext 3 (or 2). Solves the root issue (cannot deal with files above a certain size) permanently. (Thankfully, )I do not have to use computers which run one of Microsoft's OS very often. But when I do, I install a tiny little driver(?) so that the computer is then able - again, permanently - to read and write to the *nix file systems that I use. Problem solved in seconds, lol.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Termy
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Termy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Thought I might randomly offer something which might be useful to somebody out there, regarding file splitting:

Create the Archive

Using the zip and split commands. The resulting file parts are can be combined and extracted in Linux, but I don't know if Windows can combine them, at least natively. I usually use tar, but just in-case, I'm showing this method in-case it works in Windows. The -r tells zip to work recursively. The archive.zip is the filename of the archive (zip file) to create. The file_to_split.ext is an example of the file to split; this can multiple files, or even a directory.

Code: Select all

zip -r archive.zip file_to_split.ext

Split the Archive

Now to split the files. Although you can use zip itself to split files (zipsplit), I personally find using split far simpler and easier to remember. YMMV. The -d flag is to use numbers to identify the sequence of resulting file parts, as opposed to the default alphabetic, which is a bit cumbersome, IMO. The -b is to specify the size 1024M in bytes, but you actually specify a specific size, in a human-readable format, such as the following, which will use 1G.

split -d -b 1024M archive.zip

Combine the Parts

In order to combine these files, you use the cat command, as mentioned previously in this thread. Where 99 is the highest number you see from your file parts. The cat program will concatenate (combine) the parts together, then redirect > the result into a single file archive.zip which you initially had.

cat x{00..99} > archive.zip

Extract the Archive

After that, you need only extract the zip file:

unzip archive.zip
Here to help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”