GNOME

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jacobrules222

GNOME

Post by jacobrules222 »

How do I install GNOME properly on 18.1 Sarah with proprietary nvidia drivers? Before anyone asks, I launch it from a display manager.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: GNOME

Post by kc1di »

Hello and welcome to Linux Mint,

This page is for mint 17 but should work ok for 18.1 also.
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1829
make sure you replace mdm display manager with gdm.
(NOTE: Mint does not officially support Gnome Desktop, so you might be better off trying a live disc of ubuntu-gnome)
good luck
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
jacobrules222

Post by jacobrules222 »

I cannot even use GDM
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

kc1di wrote:... This page is for mint 17 but should work ok for 18.1 also.
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1829
make sure you replace mdm display manager with gdm.
There have been a lot of changes from 17 to 18. You cannot assume ANY solutions for older releases will work and exp. not from pre 18 releases. I would not touch that tutorial with a 10 foot pole anyway. At least there's a disclaimer ...

"Installing Gnome Shell on Linux Mint likely is not a good idea - see the comments also. Also this tutorial is deprecated; it's a year old at the time of writing. But if you want to try, you could try this procedure. However, it likely won't work well."

... which is more than I can say for most of those tutorials, which are often posted by users who actually don't know what they're doing at all, and how are Linux beginners supposed to tell this?
(NOTE: Mint does not officially support Gnome Desktop, so you might be better off trying a live disc of ubuntu-gnome)
good luck
Installing multiple DEs is actually a very good way to break your system. It's one of those things that's recommended all the time by noobs and never,done by really knowledgeable users. That's true for Mint supported DEs and even more so for unsupported ones. I'd expect problems.

Definitely try a live boot of ubuntu gnome as suggested, and if that's what you prefer install that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I've seen this question come up before. As you've just discussed, there are articles and tutorials (of questionable quality :roll: ) about it, so I must infer that there are at least a few people who really want to accomplish this.

I cannot figure out WHY.

The DE IS the system, in many ways. Combine that DE with its associated applications (WM, FM, et cetera) and you could probably change "many" to "most."

I could buy a Ford. Then decide that I like the Ford, only I want to swap the drivetrain for BMW kit. That Ford interior, well... I bet I could fit the BMW interior in there "with a little work." Paint? Yeah, that Ford refrigerator white (okay, that don't use that any more) looks like it belongs in a kitchen instead of on an automobile, I'll just go source some BMW paint. Oh, wait, those fenders. Hmm...

Be quicker to buy a BMW. A whole LOT easier. And I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to ultimately be cheaper (change "BMW" to "Chevrolet" and it surely would).

Cheaper in this particular case meaning in terms of wasted time (which is probably worth something to you). If you want GNOME as your DE, just buy a BMW (err...) that has GNOME preinstalled as its DE. You could probably add some green colors a whole lot quicker and easier than you could add GNOME to Mint (and to get it to play well).

If you're merely doing it for the challenge... Well, it'll be a challenge :mrgreen: . If that's the case, I'll go ahead and wish you good luck. But in that case, I'm not really sure if good luck would be defined as it working or, instead, defined as something that would give you at least a month of head-scratching (or head-banging) work. After all, if it's easy, it's not a challenge. And, furthermore, maybe if you post a thread with the title, "I Was Going to Attempt a GNOME Install for a Challenge, But Would Appreciate Alternate Challenging Suggestions," you could get some other ideas, lol. I've known people who thought like that. I used to be one, actually. Got old, too many *fun* challenges turned into failures with lots of work attached, and it turns out that cognitive function really DOES decline after age 45 or so. But I remember that time in my life. And amidst all the failures, I did have a few successes that I was proud of. Of course, someone usually came by and asked why I spent so much time trying to do it the hard way instead of five minutes and done. I always replied, "For the challenge." Even when the real answer happened to be, "Oh, well, to be honest, I just didn't fully think this one through first."

BtW, if you DO figure out a bulletproof method to do what you are attempting, and can show that it works in most every situation, there will undoubtedly be people interested in learning exactly how you did it. But don't use that as your motivation, lol.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”