Alternative light DE for Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DDR-4
Level 2
Level 2

Alternative light DE for Mint?

Post by DDR-4 »

I've been using XFCE for many years, but now I'm on a laptop once I put it in suspend mode I loose text, as mentioned here:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=242489

Can anyone please recommend a suitable lightweight DE that does not have this issue with loosing text after going into suspend mode?

TIA

DDR-4
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Alternative light DE for Mint?

Post by xenopeek »

Suspend issues are unfortunately common due to lack of, or incomplete, support for Linux by hardware manufacturer. Switching to another DE isn't likely to resolve the issue on your current hardware. Like you saw, you posted on somebody else their topic about suspend issues on Cinnamon and your own suspend issues are on Xfce.

You may try installing a newer kernel release. If your graphics cards is Intel that may help as the drivers for Intel are included in the kernel (using a newer kernel release means using newer drivers, which may improve support for suspend on your hardware). You can install a newer kernel release in Update Manager. Open its View > Linux kernels menu and from the left sidebar select a newer kernel release and then install a version from that on the right. 4.10 or 4.11 assuming you are on Linux Mint 18.x.

Return to “Software & Applications”