SPECIFIC LXQt installation instructions. [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertService

SPECIFIC LXQt installation instructions. [SOLVED]

Post by RobertService »

I have 17.3 -32 Xfce installed; it's a beautiful OS.
I want to replace Xfce with LXQt.
Someone please give me explicit instructions as to how, exactly, to do this.

[and also, please understand that, "yes/no you can('t) do this", or "why do you want to...", or "you can do anything you want...", or my favourite: "you NEED TO install 18.2..." , just take up space and do not answer this request; no editorials, please.].
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: SPECIFIC LXQt installation instructions.

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 17.3 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. There is no LXQt available on Ubuntu 14.04 without adding an unstable PPA (software repository) for developers of Lubuntu to your system—which the Lubuntu developer says you shouldn't do: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubun ... 00466.html

If you want to install it anyway, Google "ubuntu 14.04 lxqt" and you will find your instructions to adding the Lubuntu daily PPA to your system and install LXQt from there. Expect things to break or need manual intervention to get working.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: SPECIFIC LXQt installation instructions.

Post by Hoser Rob »

If ever there was a must read noob link, that's one.

Thing is, the 'editorials' usually come from people who actually know what they're talking about. The ones who say it's OK to do anything because of some nebulous idea of 'freedom' ... Linux is actually somewhat restrictive really ... usually don't.

As xenopeek said, there are all kinds of guides if you search. Just make sure the Ubuntu version they're talking about is the one your Mint is based on. There's lots of outdated info out there on the web.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
RobertService

Re: SPECIFIC LXQt installation instructions. [SOLVED]

Post by RobertService »

Thank you very much. The solution? Leave 17.3 alone.

Return to “Software & Applications”