Auto-login one user on Mint 18.2 XFCE - lightdm prob?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Auto-login one user on Mint 18.2 XFCE - lightdm prob?

Post by jimallyn »

A while back I decided to give two laptops I had lying around to my son and his family. I installed Mint 18.1 XFCE on one, with two users: josh&holly, and their son, killian. They wanted to require a password for josh&holly, but allow killian to login automatically after a few seconds delay if some action wasn't taken to log somebody else in. I got that done, no problem. Now I have installed 18.2 XFCE on the other laptop, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to automatically log in killian after a short delay. I am guessing this is because 18.2 uses lightdm while 18.1 used MDM I believe. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
WharfRat

Re: Auto-login one user on Mint 18.2 XFCE - lightdm prob?

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Jim.

Check /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Code: Select all

[bill@vb] /etc/lightdm $ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[Seat:*]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=bill
autologin-user-timeout=0
[bill@vb] /etc/lightdm $ 
I just found out about the switch to lightdm about a week or two ago :?

Since I've done in-place upgrades, my main system is still using mdm.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Cool, I'll give that a try this weekend, WharfRat. I tried messing with some of that stuff, but never got what I was after. I talked to my son and he said that it would probably be OK if the two computers weren't absolutely identical, but Killian is autistic and they sometimes get fussy about things like that, so I thought it would be worth a little more effort to make it work the same.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
brvcf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brvcf »

??? There is no such file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf on my system
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

brvcf wrote:??? There is no such file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf on my system
I don't believe there should be unless you specify auto login during installation :wink:
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

jimallyn wrote:I talked to my son and he said that it would probably be OK if the two computers weren't absolutely identical, but Killian is autistic and they sometimes get fussy about things like that, so I thought it would be worth a little more effort to make it work the same.
Yes, an established routine can be important. Why not simply install the previous version's login(?) manager, configure it the same way that you've set up the other laptop, and call the job done?

As far as that goes, you should be able to install the exact same version of Mint on the second laptop and, therefore, make pretty much everything on the two computers look and behave the same.

Seems like, since one cannot control every facet of one's (child's) environment, in cases like your family's, it might be wise to more rigidly control those that one can. A case of picking one's battles, so to speak.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”