X-Server Fails on Switch User

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShadowMessiah

X-Server Fails on Switch User

Post by ShadowMessiah »

Everytime I try to switch users, I get a notification that states: "The X Server Failed. Perhaps it is not configured properly". Any ideas why?

I also have problems logging back in after I log-out a user. I have to reboot. It will state that the password is bad, but shutting down and rebooting, then logging in with the same password works fine.

I'm using the fglrx driver for AMD. I'm using a R7 370. Specifically because the x-server driver offers awful resolutions. It also fails to detect my second monitor as anything more then a generic monitor offering it only a max resolution of 1024 x 768. I specifically need resolutions of 1600 x 900 and 1440 x 900 for my two monitors.

P.S. I'm on Mint 17.3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ShadowMessiah

Re: X-Server Fails on Switch User

Post by ShadowMessiah »

So no way to fix this? Other than to stop using Mint.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Change the login window to bare GTK.
mdmsetup.png
ShadowMessiah

Post by ShadowMessiah »

Unfortunately, there seems to be little change. It'll work for about 2 hours, but still reverts back to the same problem after about 2 hours.

Return to “Software & Applications”