How to install Deepin Desktop in linux mint 18.2 ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kangabbad

How to install Deepin Desktop in linux mint 18.2 ?

Post by kangabbad »

Hello,
I just wanna install dde then I see youtube tutorial and do the script below :

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:leaeasy/dde 
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install dde
But it is didn't work, how should I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to install Deepin Desktop in linux mint 18.2 ?

Post by catweazel »

kangabbad wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:41 pm But it is didn't work, how should I do?
You could be more clear about what "it didn't work" means however what you want to do isn't recommended. You should consider trying a distro that comes with that DE rather than creating a frankendesktop that will probably give you trouble.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

We'd need some actual information here. If you're going to try something like this, you're going to need to be more verbose about it. Do you get error messages? Which version of Mint are you running? Did you remove the current DE? Why don't you install Ubuntu via mini.iso and then install the Deepin DE over the bare essentials? If that's not a task you're up to, then load up something like VirtualBox and experiment to your heart's content until you can create something cool.

It's entirely doable, but you'll (probably) run into issues trying this with Mint, as there are quite a lot of Mint-specific configurations and programs. There's certainly no need to go experimenting on your "production" machine, so that's why I heartily suggest VirtualBox, if you're not doing so already.

Also, what in the world was the YouTube video you were following? These things are very important. :roll: Help us help you. :P
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Wasn't there a concern with Deepin having a backdoor and being a security risk?
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Lucap wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:15 pm Wasn't there a concern with Deepin having a backdoor and being a security risk?
Quidsup looked into Deepin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9eiErGo6u0
And again later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqOOBqKCXkY

If you're not familiar with him, he's a security professional who also makes a lot of YouTube videos.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Years ago, I liked the thought of having the ability to use multiple DEs in one installation. Having read many times about how this can be... unwise for the non-expert to attempt, I chose a distro that was developed by someone who, by all accounts, is both very intelligent in general and very talented in terms of linux.

And in ONE DAY, I think I ended up doing a complete distro (re)installation eight or nine times, lol. Much of that was because I was not a linux expert. But your post, above, causes me to wonder if you are also not an expert, so...

Although I would be saddened to think that I helped point a current Mint user towards some other distro, I second (third?) the suggestion that you go find one that offers the desktop environment that you're wanting to use as a pre-installed DE. Most distros seem to have "live" versions these days, so you should be able to try a different one without sacrificing your Mint installation (or possibly breaking it by attempting to add an additional DE to it).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”