How do I install Liri Desktop Environment in Linux Mint 18.3.?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nikk_nitin

How do I install Liri Desktop Environment in Linux Mint 18.3.?

Post by nikk_nitin »

Liri is a very good looking DE. I've heard that you can install any DE in any Linux and any Linux distro can be made to look like any other distro.
If that is true, there must be some way of installing Liri on Linux Mint. You can install it in arch linux as given in Arch Wiki here. Can anyone help me in installing that in Linux Mint 18.3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How do I install Liri Desktop Environment in Linux Mint 18.3.?

Post by catweazel »

nikk_nitin wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:28 am Liri is a very good looking DE. I've heard that you can install any DE in any Linux and any Linux distro can be made to look like any other distro.
If that is true, there must be some way of installing Liri on Linux Mint. You can install it in arch linux as given in Arch Wiki here. Can anyone help me in installing that in Linux Mint 18.3
You have two choices. Download the source and compile it, then hope that installing it doesn't bork your Mint, or install lirios.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
nikk_nitin

Post by nikk_nitin »

You have two choices. Download the source and compile it, then hope that installing it doesn't bork your Mint, or install lirios.
Can you tell how do I compile it. I am a newbie.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It looks like the developer has looked into and hit some obstacles packaging his project for Debian based systems so wouldn't even bother trying.

Either give it a try from the Live Image - https://liri.io/download/ or install a friendly Arch based distro with AUR support - i.e. Manjaro and install from that point
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

nikk_nitin wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:59 am Can you tell how do I compile it. I am a newbie.
Your Arch wiki link has
Warning: Liri is currently in alpha stage and there might be issues.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

nikk_nitin wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:28 am... I've heard that you can install any DE in any Linux
You can. However Linux, unlike Windows, assumes that if you have sudo level permission, you actually know what you're doing. So while you can do it, it doesn't mean it'll work. And installing multiple DEs is one of the best ways to bork your OS. The usually recommended fix for that is a data backup and clean reinstall. This is one of the most common mistakes made by beginners.
... any Linux distro can be made to look like any other distro....
Maybe, but it's not simple. And if you're talking about Debian vs Arch or Fedora, it won't work quite the same.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

This review is about a year old -
http://www.ocsmag.com/2017/06/24/liri-l ... ot-at-all/
liri-loves-me-loves-me-not-at-all
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
nikk_nitin

Post by nikk_nitin »

Seeing all the replies, I think it's safe to assume that it cannot be done as of now.
Just waiting for the developer to do something...
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Flemur wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:59 am This review is about a year old -
http://www.ocsmag.com/2017/06/24/liri-l ... ot-at-all/
liri-loves-me-loves-me-not-at-all
Well, that convinced me. It's a write off, probably soon to be abandonware.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”