Screensaver background and configuration

Post by rpaskudniak » Wed May 02, 2018 12:24 pm

System information:
- Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64 bit
- Cinnamon version 3.0.7
- Kernel: 4.4.0-122 Generic
- Screensaver is xscreensaver

Greetings.

This has been a low-priority annoyance since I installed Linux Mint 15 months ago.

Previously, under Ubuntu, if I set my Screensaver to something like "DecayScreen" it would start to decay whatever is displayed on the screen. Similarly for some other screensavers, like the one that fades the screen into a rotating plane. The idea is that they used the current desktop as the graphic being manipulated. However, since I converted to Linux Mint (SOOOO much easier installation!!) I no longer have such an option for these screensavers. Instead there is some default graphic
Default Graphic for Screensaver.png
which is functional but not what I used to enjoy with Ubuntu.

There is also a teaser button to configure my screensaver. It is only to configure general options for all screensaver. I recall being able to configure each screensaver with options for, say, how many fish in the aquarium, or how fast to decay the screen.

Perhaps there is another screen-saver runner besides xscreensaver that does allow individual configuration?

HMMmmm. I just searched Software Manager for the string "screensaver" and found something interesting:
  • Package Xscreensaver is not installed.
  • Packages Xscreensaver-data and Xscreensaver-gl are installed
  • So are packages Xscreensaver-data-extra and Xscreensaver-gl-extra.
There are some other related items available but the mystery to me is how the data and gl packages seem to function when the primary package, Xscreensaver itself seems not to be installed.

Boiling all this down to coherent questions:
  • How can I get the screensavers that use that graphic to use a screenshot of the desktop as their graphic?
  • Is there any way to configure and customize an individual screensaver?
  • Should I be installing that Xscsreensasver package that seems to be closely related to the other items in the list?
Like I said, this is low priority but it has been gnawing at me for over a year.

Thanks much for ideas!
----- Rasputin Paskudniak -----
Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as
distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
-- Ambrose Bierce

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Screensaver background and configuration

Post by MtnDewManiac » Fri May 04, 2018 11:00 am

It appears that a screensaver app is one of those things that Cinnamon "helpfully"[/IRONY] builds in. See:
viewtopic.php?t=161482
And for instructions on using xscreensaver instead, see posts #... Well, this forum software doesn't give out post numbers in its threads, lol, but the second half or so of the thread.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Others”