Unity desktop ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vladtepes

Unity desktop ?

Post by vladtepes »

I expect the answer will be no but no harm in asking....

Is it possible to install Ubuntu's UNITY desktop on Linux Mint?

(I ask because I see Cinnamon is now available for Ubuntu and wondered if perhaps the reverse were also true).

I just want to give it a try without having to install Ubuntu, if that's at all possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Unity desktop ?

Post by Pierre »

YES - it is possible to install the Unity DeskTop:
https://gamblisfx.com/how-to-install-ub ... x-mint-17/
that's just one way of doing it, & if it breaks your machine, though, that's the risk that you will take . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

vladtepes wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:45 am Is it possible to install Ubuntu's UNITY desktop on Linux Mint?
Yes, but apart from the risk of seriously b0rking your Linux Mint, why would you contemplate installing a dead DE?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:33 am
vladtepes wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:45 am Is it possible to install Ubuntu's UNITY desktop on Linux Mint?
Yes, but apart from the risk of seriously b0rking your Linux Mint, why would you contemplate installing a dead DE?
Exactly. I fact (many newbies may not know this) the reason Mint is as successful as it is is because so many users hated Unity so much. I agree. It's putrid. Closely related to the Ubuntu Phone debacle because it's actually a tablet style UI. Canonical looks a bit Spinal Tap to me sometimes.

ANd, of course, installing more than one DE is one of the most reliable ways to break your OS, even other Mint DEs, let alone unsupported ones..
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

OK well that answers that then ! Cheers :)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

The Unity 7 maintainers (yes it is still active) have been permitted to move the Unity 7 packages to the Ubuntu Universe repository from the PPA. To properly install it you need to install Ubuntu 18.04, then you can just do a "sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop" and it will install properly on Ubuntu. Reboot and log in to Unity. While I am not presently using it, I have an image saved with clonezilla that I reinstall periodically when I am feeling nostalgic.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Software & Applications”