Different DE - Same /home

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tartufo

Different DE - Same /home

Post by Tartufo »

I've seen some earlier posts on this theme, but what I would like to ask is for a more integrated and coherent response to the question:
How does one install (in order to test and evaluate) different DEs (Mate [current], Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce4 [an old fave], LXDE, Fluxbox, etc. on Mint 19 so that each DE, when logged into, shares a common /home/* directory?
I appreciate that there are multiple files/ config and the opportunity for conflict is rife whenever I use a common app (e.g. Firefox) in several different DEs. So, how do I optimize the testing and evaluation of different DEs, using real world data and file systems that I need on a day-to-day basis, on the same box?

The change would need to be at user login, so how do I set that up? and how do I install each DE? and how to set the system to default to a common /home/* directory?

Really appreciate any help. Appreciate it even more if the responses are user friendly :-)

Cheers
[edited for email notification]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianI

Re: Different DE - Same /home

Post by BrianI »

Hello.

I have a separate /home partition on my computer, something I've always done as it makes for easier reinstallations.

I've tried a few different desktop environments on my system, I simply installed them using synaptic, "mint-meta-cinnamon", "mint-meta-mate" or "mint-meta-xfce". I didn't have to do anything else.

To switch between them, simply logout, and select a different de from the login window. I can't say I've noticed any conflicts with Firefox with different DEs.

Hopefully this will help.

Regards,

Brian.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Installing more than one DE on the same install is a recipe for trouble, that many is just asking for it. The problems caused are hard to fix and the usual recommendation is a clean reinstall. Installing multiple DEs is one of the top bits of bad beginner advice.

The best way would be to dl live boot iso's of something with those DEs and test them via a live USB stick boot, optical drives are too slow to get a feel for it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I'm going to put one out there . . Wouldn't it be better, if using the same Home partition, to have different user names for each DE ?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

this is something that I've usually done, and originally it was to use an older & smaller HDD,
& these days, it's just out of habit / convenience, than anything else.

but - sure - each system does indeed have a Different User-name ..
or else each installation would damage the user-name if they were the same name.

then again, most of my installations are usually related - - They are all from the Debian Family Tree.

But - in this instance, where it's just a Different Desktop Environment, in use,,
- like on this machine with both LM18 & LM19 and using both Mate & Cinnamon DEs
that does work just fine .. log-out & log-in to the other DE - - don't even Log-out of Forum.LinuxMint either.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Tartufo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:20 pm So, how do I optimize the testing and evaluation of different DEs, using real world data and file systems that I need on a day-to-day basis, on the same box?
Depends how long you want to test and what you want to do. Safest way is:

1. Take a disk image
2. install a DE
3. test to your heart's content
4. Restore disk image as if nothing ever happened
5. rinse-repeat for each DE you want to test
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

different DEs do clash - - is what I've found out !.

so, my rule - is like this:
- Heavy with Lightweight ..

so Cinnamon with Mate - - like I've done.

but, not Cinnamon with Kde, though.
or Mate with Xfce, as that didn't work too well, either.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BrianI

Post by BrianI »

Pierre wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 am different DEs do clash - - is what I've found out !.

so, my rule - is like this:
- Heavy with Lightweight ..

so Cinnamon with Mate - - like I've done.

but, not Cinnamon with Kde, though.
or Mate with Xfce, as that didn't work too well, either.
I've currently got Mint Mate 19 installed, with mint-meta-XFCE installed on top of that. No issues at all. :-) I do think I'll end up settling on XFCE though, as it seems to be a lot lighter and more resposnsive than Mate.

Return to “Software & Applications”