GNOME3 question to satisfy my OCD

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borg101

GNOME3 question to satisfy my OCD

Post by borg101 »

Is there anyway to add a second "favorites" bar or other type of dock in the "show applications" window? On my dash, I have my favorites. However, there are some secondary favorites that aren't quite worthy of putting there. What I'm looking for is something like a second, hidden dash that fits within dash to panel or off to the left or to the top of the "show applications" window.

I use GNOME almost exclusively because extensions make it so easy to get a lot of little desktop tweaks done and it is a very touch friendly interface, and you can port settings. I'm fairly certain what I'm looking for exists but I'm just searching for it wrong. Do any of you guys/girls have any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: GNOME3 question to satisfy my OCD

Post by xenopeek »

I've not heard of any extensions that can do that. Perhaps with a standalone additional dock like Docky, AWN or Cairo Dock? That would add a dock to the bottom of your screen. No idea if/how well such work with Gnome Shell or if that will give you want you need. As I write this I'm thinking it's a stupid idea; how will it make sense to have your less-than-favorite favorites always showing at the bottom of your screen?

Personally I've limited my favorites to the things I use each day and will have open most of the day anyway (web browser, feed reader, favorite terminal, file manager, text editor and music player). The programs I use frequently but not daily aren't worth a spot on favorites to me. I just throw the mouse in the left top corner (or press Super key) and type first couple of letters of a name to find it and press enter to launch it.
borg101

Post by borg101 »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:39 am I've not heard of any extensions that can do that. Perhaps with a standalone additional dock like Docky, AWN or Cairo Dock? That would add a dock to the bottom of your screen. No idea if/how well such work with Gnome Shell or if that will give you want you need. As I write this I'm thinking it's a stupid idea; how will it make sense to have your less-than-favorite favorites always showing at the bottom of your screen?

Personally I've limited my favorites to the things I use each day and will have open most of the day anyway (web browser, feed reader, favorite terminal, file manager, text editor and music player). The programs I use frequently but not daily aren't worth a spot on favorites to me. I just throw the mouse in the left top corner (or press Super key) and type first couple of letters of a name to find it and press enter to launch it.
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them all and they weren't what I was looking for. I appreciate it though. I guess you're right that hitting Super and typing a few letters isn't that big of a deal. I just like to make things easy for my wife if she ever needs to use anything more than the browser.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've installed Dash to Panel extension https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... -to-panel/ for a family member familiar with Windows to better fit Gnome to their way of working.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Here's a launcher that there is not one single mention of in this forum, gnome-pie
It's pretty cool, stays out of your way, takes no space on screen, you call it with a keyboard short-cut like ALT +a, or +p (or other).
You can have multiple "pies".
I tried it, I like it, it's nice (different) eye candy, but decided I didn't need it, the mint mate menu is so well organized...
Video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnzHkFZAwUg
It is available from mint software center, or their own home page.
Could be just what you want.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Software & Applications”