Lumina desktop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Anoep

Lumina desktop

Post by Anoep »

Hello,

Is it possible to install this desktop environment under Linux Mint as replacement of Xfce? It kinda looks like the desktop environment of Lubuntu or such distro using Lxde.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Lumina desktop

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You don't mention which Mint version you are using. I was able to install Lumina on Mint 18 using the first set of instructions (just three lines, starting with apt-add-repository ...) On Mint 19, I had to use the longer set of instructions, where you clone it from github and compile it. I didn't try it on Mint 17.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Have you seen their download page?

https://lumina-desktop.org/get-lumina/

Lumina is orginally made for FreeBSD. I do not see Ubuntu listed there anywhere. You're talking about compiling and building it from source as far as I can see. I wouldn't touch it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:30 amI do not see Ubuntu listed there anywhere. You're talking about compiling and building it from source as far as I can see. I wouldn't touch it.
From their github page:
Supported operating systems include (but are not limited to):

BSD: TrueOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD, GNU/kFreeBSD
Linux: Gentoo, Debian, "Generic" Linux (including Arch, Ubuntu, and more)
As I posted above, I installed it on Mint 18.x and 19.0. Seems to work well. Just followed the instructions in the article. Log out, select Lumina, log back in, and there you go.

Return to “Software & Applications”