Booting into mdm instead of console

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drawk

Booting into mdm instead of console

Post by drawk »

Mint 17.3 Rosa

I've just re-activated a machine after it had sat dormant for a couple of years. It's an older box that acts as a Plex Media Server. It ran headless when it did run, and so I had configured it to boot into the text console login rather than into any GUI. Now I would like to undo that, as it will still acts as a PMS but will also be connected to a television.

Unfortunately, despite searching around, I can't quite figure out how to boot back into the graphical login (mdm preferred) again. Part of it, I think, is because a lot of the information I can find is relevant only to Mint 18+.

Any nudges along to the right direction would be really appreciated. I am sure it is quite simple.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Booting into mdm instead of console

Post by Flemur »

drawk wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:58 am Unfortunately, despite searching around, I can't quite figure out how to boot back into the graphical login (mdm preferred) again. Part of it, I think, is because a lot of the information I can find is relevant only to Mint 18+.
Try

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm
If that fails, try uninstall/purge mdm and reinstall mdm.

...though now they're using lightdm.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
drawk

Re: Booting into mdm instead of console

Post by drawk »

Thanks, yes, tried that, and while I can set mdm (or lightdm) as the default - and I can start them just fine from the terminal - the issue is that I have had made configuration changes somewhere quite some time ago because I wanted the system to boot into the text console, and now don't know what exactly to do/undo to reverse it.

The instructions I run into involve sysctl which doesn't apply for Mint 17.

Return to “Software & Applications”