Effect / influence of desktop type on mounting & ejection of USB devices

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Effect / influence of desktop type on mounting & ejection of USB devices

Post by wpshooter »

Does the type of desktop being utilized (i.e. Mate, XFCE, or Cinnamon) have any effect/influence
on the functioning of mounting, dismounting, & ejection of USB connected devices on said system ?

The reason I am asking is because dismount and ejection of the USB connected hard drive enclosure
that I am using does not behave correctly under Mate interface, thus I am wondering if switching to
either XFCE or Cinnamon would possibly make any difference.

Mint 19.3 mate 64 bit.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Effect / influence of desktop type on mounting & ejection of USB devices

Post by Moonstone Man »

wpshooter wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:07 pm The reason I am asking is because dismount and ejection of the USB connected hard drive enclosure
that I am using does not behave correctly...
"does not behave correctly" is meaningless to anyone except yourself.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Effect / influence of desktop type on mounting & ejection of USB devices

Post by wpshooter »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:43 pm
wpshooter wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:07 pm The reason I am asking is because dismount and ejection of the USB connected hard drive enclosure
that I am using does not behave correctly...
"does not behave correctly" is meaningless to anyone except yourself.
I did not mention the specifics because on other post where I have given great details, I have yet to
receive an answer for this problem but basically (short version) the problem is that if the computer
has both USB2.0 ports AND USB3.0 ports, the lights on the USB drive enclosure do not go to the
correct status on a CONSISTENT basis. As long as the computer has only/just USB2.0 ports, the lights
work correctly 100% of the time. I have researched this and the lights problem is not just on my
USB drive enclosure but same problem for other folks and on other brands of USB drive enclosures.

I replicated this problem on Ubuntu as well as Linux Mint. NO PROBLEM on that MS$ OS.

Could not replicate the problem on MX Linux. The lights functions correctly 100% of the time
on MX Linux OS.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition

Return to “Software & Applications”