LXDE is installed but does not work

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hybris2

LXDE is installed but does not work

Post by hybris2 »

I have Linuxmint 19.3 xfce 32bit. I wanted to try LXDE as it should be a little lighter. I installed it from the terminal with the command "sudo apt install lxde". The procedure seems successful, I logged out and chose LXDE but the desktop is exactly the same. With the "echo $ DESKTOP_SESSION" or "echo $ XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" command, xfce always appears.
Since I'm relatively new by linux I probably made a mistake or skipped something.
Thanks everyone in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LXDE is installed but does not work

Post by Flemur »

hybris2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 am The procedure seems successful, I logged out and chose LXDE but the desktop is exactly the same.
I usually do something similar (install xfce distro, then run fluxbox), and what you described works.

Try disabling auto-login and then reboot, select lxde from the login screen.

EDit: if that works, don't worry about the below ...

What does

Code: Select all

ls  /usr/share/xsessions
return?

From a lubuntu install w/fluxbox added, I get:

LXDE.desktop  Lubuntu.desktop  fluxbox.desktop	openbox.desktop
Edit: Just a note. Linux user session stuff if very poorly designed and implemented, the different desktop environments often interfere with each other and mess up each other's settings, (EDIT: sticking to one DE, e.g. LXDE, mostly solves that problem) and most of the stuff here is confusing or incorrect, or both:

"Configure a user default session"
https://help.gnome.org/admin/system-adm ... er.html.en
To specify a default session for a user, update the user’s account service in the /var/lib/AccountsService/users/username file:

[User]
Language=
XSession=gnome-classic
In this sample, GNOME Classic has been set as the default session, using the /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-classic.desktop file. [What does that sentence even mean?!?!?]
My /var/lib/AccountsService/users/username file says the default session is lubuntu, but it's fluxbox.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”