switch from Cinnamon to xfce

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
magdikiran

switch from Cinnamon to xfce

Post by magdikiran »

Hi
I am a new to Linux and i am facing some trouble.
I have a very old System where i am running Cinnamon and found it was too slow i wanted to change desktop environment to XFCE
to do that i followed the steps in the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=214635
I finished installing XFCE4 from software manager.

still it is booting to Cinnamon. cant see any changes. need help some one please respond. thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tuzzer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: switch from Cinnimon to

Post by tuzzer »

In the login window (if you have automatic login at startup, then log-out), click the icon near to the user name, from there you can select which environment to load.
Your choice will remain until you switch it again.

You can check the different RAM usage with cinnamon or xfce, using the command free -h in a terminal window

PS
the splash screen could remain the same, there is another procedure to change it
search for "plymouth" in google, or here in the forum
I've never changed it
Cinnamon
20.2-macmini(mid2011)-i5@2.30GHz-16Gb-240+500SSD
20.1-MacBookPro(2008)-C2Duo@2.6GHz-4Gb-500HD(ElCapitan dual boot)
19.3-Dell Vostro 1220-C2Duo@1.8GHz-6Gb-120+250SSD
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: switch from Cinnimon to

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

In a terminal run

Code: Select all

apt install mint-meta-xfce
Once installed, log out. On the log in screen click the Cinnamon icon next to your user name and than should allow you to select XFCE as the session to log into to.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ZV43
Level 1
Level 1

Re: switch from Cinnamon to xfce

Post by ZV43 »

I did this too, for the same reason. I'm having several issues with xfce... or maybe only two. 1, I don't know how to have the vertical taskbar aligned to the left edge of the screen, rather than in the middle (confused?), and 2, I don't know how to turn the volume down. If anyone could teach me how to turn the volume down ASAP, I'd really appreciate it.
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

I assume by taskbar you mean the Xfce panel, which is usually horizontal at the bottom of the screen but can be changed to vertical in the Panel Preferences. You can then drag it to one side of the screen or the other. The thing to note about dragging the panel, however, is that you cannot just click anywhere on the panel and try to drag it. You first need to unlock the panel - which will cause inconspicuous "handles" to appear at each end of the panel - then click on one of these ends, drag the panel to where you want it and then lock the panel again.

So, to unlock the panel you will need to right-click on the panel (anywhere except on a window button) and select Panel then Panel Preferences... If the panel is in the middle of the screen the Panel Preferences will probably appear behind the panel but that doesn't matter! Then untick the "Lock panel" box, drag by a handle and when in position right-click once more and in Panel Preferences lock the panel again.

As for the volume, if this is a laptop the normal volume buttons (up/down/mute) on the keyboard should work. Otherwise, find the small loudspeaker icon on the panel and left-click on it. This should give you a slider, enabling you to adjust the volume with the mouse, and a gadget to click on to mute or unmute the sound. Also, if you hover over this panel icon, you can simply adjust the volume with the mouse scroll-wheel.

It would be surprising if the loudspeaker icon is not in the panel, but if it is missing right-click on the panel and choose Panel > Add New Items... then select PulseAudio Plugin and click Add. The icon should then appear at one end of the panel. Right-click on it and select Move then drag it to where you want. (Or you can move it by selecting it in Panel Preferences on the Items tab and then walk it up or down the list using the arrows on the right-hand side.)

If any volume keys on the keyboard still aren't working, right-click on the icon in the panel and select the plugin's Properties. Check whether "Enable keyboard shortcuts for volume control" is selected. Hope this helps. :)
ZV43
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ZV43 »

Pulse Audio Plugin is not in the Add New Items list.

If the keyboard volume buttons do anything, they do not do so visibly.

I do not have a mouse, just a trackpad. No scroll wheel. Probably not important.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

ZV43 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:05 am Pulse Audio Plugin is not in the Add New Items list.
Install it with

Code: Select all

apt install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin
For the newly added vertical panel - after adding it just click and drag it to the preferred edge of the screen. Maybe a bit tricky with trackpad but that's how XFCE does it.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ZV43 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:46 am I did this too, for the same reason. I'm having several issues with xfce... or maybe only two.
For the future: each new question deserves a new topic, so don't post your questions on someone elses topic but start a new one. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”