Mint report is asking to add Xapp status applet V2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IdontBelieveIt

Mint report is asking to add Xapp status applet V2

Post by IdontBelieveIt »

Mint report is asking to add Xapp status applet. I have tried but Mint continues to report an issue. The applet manager continues to show V1.0 as though the update has not occurred. The reporting process kills the PC performance so it would be nice to solve this problem.

I notice that there are several posts on the subject, many marked "solved" only for others to report it's not solved for them. Me Too...

I have installed Mint 19.2 for the first time recently and it then offered to go to 19.3 which I have done. I think this xApp issue began shortly afterwards.

I have chosen to use the same subject text as a previous report (also marked solved) - other than appending "V2" with the aim they will appear in the same search.

The applets manager shows "XApp Status Applet (xapp-status@cinnamon.org) V.1.0"

The output from "apt list --installed *xapp*" is

Code: Select all

gir1.2-xapp-1.0/now 1.6.10+tricia i386 [installed,local]
libxapp1/now 1.6.10+tricia i386 [installed,local]
python-xapp/now 1.8.1 all [installed,local]
python3-xapp/now 1.8.1 all [installed,local]
xapps-common/now 1.6.10+tricia all [installed,local]
Hopefully this URL will display my system spec
https://termbin.com/gmak

System:
  Host: AcquirePC04 Kernel: 4.15.0-111-generic i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: SAMSUNG product: NC10 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: SAMSUNG model: NC10 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix 
  v: 03CA.MP00.20081125.KTW date: 11/25/2008 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 43.3 Wh condition: 43.3/57.7 Wh (75%) 
  model: SAMSUNG Electronics status: Full 
CPU:
  Topology: Single Core model: Intel Atom N270 bits: 32 type: MT 
  arch: Bonnell rev: 2 L2 cache: 512 KiB 
  flags: nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 6383 
  Speed: 1359 MHz min/max: 800/1600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1122 2: 864 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics 
  vendor: Samsung Co driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: intel 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x600~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 1.4 Mesa 20.0.8 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Samsung Co 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-111-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Askey driver: ath5k v: kernel port: 18a0 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet vendor: Samsung Co 
  driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: 2000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 47.23 GiB (42.2%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: PNY model: CS900 120GB SSD size: 111.79 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 109.53 GiB used: 23.56 GiB (21.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 116.2 MiB (5.7%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-0 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://tux.rainside.sk/mint/packages tina main upstream import backport
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner
Info:
  Processes: 184 Uptime: 4h 00m Memory: 1.89 GiB used: 1.08 GiB (57.2%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 
  inxi: 3.0.32 
How should I move forward with this please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint report is asking to add Xapp status applet V2

Post by ZakGordon »

First things first i came here because of this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=326880&sid=6f169be ... 4e2ce2ec22

Second thing is you need to read the 'How to Get Help' thread first, as that gives important info for all people that want to get help quickly (which shoud be you by now?), so go there read the thread and do the steps that should see you get the help you are after:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444

I have not the experience to help you directly, but thought i do know how to put you on the path to get that help :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

I have tried but Mint continues to report an issue.
So find a developer and report a bug to him.
But I don't see the error so I don't know what kind of error it is.
- If the bug is related to package dependency, report the bug to the developer who built the package.
- If the application is not working properly, report the error to the developer.

For example How I trying find developer of package:

$ dpkg -l  | grep xapp
ii  gir1.2-xapp-1.0                            1.8.8+ulyana                        amd64        Introspection data for XApp
ii  libxapp1:amd64                             1.8.8+ulyana                        amd64        XApp library
ii  python3-xapp                               2.0.1                               all          Python 3 XApp library
ii  xapps-common                               1.8.8+ulyana                        all          Common files for XApp desktop apps

$ apt-cache show xapps-common
Package: xapps-common
Source: xapp
Version: 1.8.8+ulyana
Maintainer: Clement Lefebvre <root@linuxmint.com>
Filename: pool/backport/x/xapp/xapps-common_1.8.8+ulyana_all.deb

Architecture: all
Version: 1.6.10-2
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Original-Maintainer: Debian Cinnamon Team <debian-cinnamon@lists.debian.org>
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Breaks: cinnamon (<< 4.0)
Filename: pool/universe/x/xapp/xapps-common_1.6.10-2_all.deb
Homepage: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/
Task: ubuntu-budgie-desktop
Or if you like

$ sudo dpkg -s  xapps-common
Maintainer: Clement Lefebvre <root@linuxmint.com>
Architecture: all
Multi-Arch: foreign
Version: 1.8.8+ulyana
Now you have email to contact with developer.

If you looking developer application, you need find source code,
or better way download and unpack source code and there should be info from where was download source code.

You can try search in internet, for example I found from web search:
https://linuxmint-developer-guide.readt ... xapps.html
https://github.com/linuxmint/xapps/issues
Last edited by Moem on Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I suspect you will never win with Mint for that machine, nor with any other of the distros based on Ubuntu.

However, I have a very similar spec machine running Debian-10-Testing with LXDE as the DE, which uses openbox which is what I always log into. The system is still slow but just about usable for low resource applications.
Don't even think about LibreOffice or Gimp, stick to abiword and gnumeric, and any one of the smaller graphic applications like mtpaint, and I advise against firefox, chromium or other large web-browser, suggesting epiphany-browser instead, and something lightweight for email such as geary.

I can not help with the xapp query as I do not know it at all.
IdontBelieveIt

Post by IdontBelieveIt »

Everyone has been very helpful with a lot of info. I will need time to digest it all. It's interesting to read details of the low resource apps. I have been struggling with Libreoffice and Firefox but without the time recently to do any further research, so the above posts will advance my studies nicely.

I use the Samsung NC10 in my business. It goes onsite with me; but it was going downhill with XP. It's only used for word processing which it can just manage.

I suffer incurable curiosity and felt it may be possible to make even a tiny PC perform adequately for my purposes. I dislike the concept of scrapping something that still works. As I discover more about Linux there seems to be every good reason to hope that the NC10 will remain useful.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

It is outside the main topic but I will add something
I hope the advice of another system is not a crime.
Try "test" any from the linux puppy version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_NC10
" 1 GB (Maximum 2 GB) "
You need:
- lightweight applications ( It's true )
if you will have choice, see if newer ones are built with gtk2 or gtk3 (gtk3 is nicer but heavier, so try choose apps with gtk2 if available)
- you need 32 bit, because 64bit system and its/his applications take more RAM
- maybe you will test the system with init.

I watched video reviews of one of the lighter systems ... there were a lot of complaints about the linux system.
I agree with him a bit. He used the system with systemd. Systemd is still evolving and can sometimes cause problems.
* if systemd-resolved can use DNS in the same time, they will eat more RAM. Probably a small difference, but always something.
* On the Arch linux wiki, You can find how to limit the size of logs for systemd.
( User complained about slower performance after some time and this is probably configuration fault. )
* I tried to slim down the system on Linux Mint, but not everything was successful.
But ...
Systemd is more popular now, so maybe you will find more people who can slim down such a system.
Slimming down the system from unnecessary packages and running services may give some performance,
but I agree that removing too much can sometimes cause problems. It all depends on how the linux distribution handles the package dependency building and what you need for own hardware.

- I suspect the Ubuntu base kernel is more for a server than home hardware, but I noticed " latency kernel for musicians " so there is hope for a better kernel. Performance probably low, but always something.
More experienced people who can compile the kernel can probably get better performance by removing unnecessary drivers.
- A long time ago I read that setting priorities gives more efficiency, but I have never found a guide on how to set it once and for all time.
- Some people replace the drive with SSD, you would have to check the reviews yourself and see if it's worth it.
- You can read and test "laptop mode tools".

I am aware that this is not tutorial for beginner, and not for people with a shortage of time.
But maybe it will be useful for someone.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

IdontBelieveIt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:40 am How should I move forward with this please?
Old 32-bit processor, 1 core.
Mandatory 32-bit operating system.
The computer's memory type was missing, the command below will show:
sudo inxi -mxx

I suggest making a copy of your data (texts, spreadsheets, images, ...) to a safe place, repartitioning the disk, and installing the system from "zero".
Updates are sometimes problematic.

MBR partitioning suggestion (msdos)
1) linux swap - about 2GB to 4GB (the amount of ram on the computer is probably small)
2) native linux - I suggest ext2 for greater speed - from 30GB to 50GB for the Mint system and programs (since, at the moment, the system partition has about 24 GB used)
3) The rest of the disk space for a data partition, which I suggest, is the largest of them. I suggest a fat32lba file system (compatible with almost any operating system) or if you prefer an ntfs (compatible with some operating systems).

Comments:
- the partitioning suggestion above assumes only 1 operating system of the Linux class installed (in partition (2), of course).
- the Linux file system checker (fsck), so far does not support ntfs volumes. This is another reason for suggesting the partition of data in fat32lba.
- the swap at the beginning of the disk would be for greater speed, which does not apply because the unit is an SSD.
- I suggest the XFCE desktop
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

IdontBelieveIt wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:32 am Everyone has been very helpful with a lot of info.
Cool. I'd also look into topics like 'Which lightweight distro" etc as your going to want something very light on system resources to get life out that NC10, here is an article to look at:

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-lig ... nux-distro

I'd also consider adding Bohdi linux to the list perhaps?

https://www.bodhilinux.com/w/what-is-bodhi-linux/
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
IdontBelieveIt

Post by IdontBelieveIt »

ZakGordon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:21 pm Cool. I'd also look into topics like 'Which lightweight distro" etc as your going to want something very light ...
Thanks for those links. I like the idea of a more lightweight distro but I had no idea there are so many. It will be interesting to see developments in the years to come...

Return to “Software & Applications”