Are Linux Mint Community Editions still a thing?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Switch

Are Linux Mint Community Editions still a thing?

Post by Switch »

What is a Community Edition? Described in Clem's blog post back in 2008:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=141

I'm not sure whether Linux Mint Community Editions are still a thing now. If they are, it's not clear where to download both Linux Mint and LMDE Community Editions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Are Linux Mint Community Editions still a thing?

Post by Moem »

No, as far as I know there have been no Community Editions for years.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Are Linux Mint Community Editions still a thing?

Post by xenopeek »

There are no Linux Mint Community Editions currently. I've removed several posts above from members that misunderstood what that refers to.

As explained on the blog post you linked to the Linux Mint Community Editions were tested and released in exactly the same manner as the main Linux Mint ISOs but were maintained by somebody outside the team (or on the team but in their own time). These ISOs could use the Linux Mint name and branding, and were hosted on Linux Mint's servers, as they passed Linux Mint's QA process and thus were guaranteed to meet the quality users have come to associate with the Linux Mint name. ISOs not passed through Linux Mint's QA process should not use the Linux Mint name or branding.

I'm aware there are several customized ISOs available on the German forum. It's fine if they do localized ISOs and such there to meet the needs of their users so long as these ISOs are gratis (as they currently are) but that doesn't make it a "Linux Mint Community Edition" as in above meaning of that term. It's fine to discuss such ISOs there but kindly don't link them here for above reasons.

Return to “Software & Applications”