I have had the same problem and i resolved it with an installation of the original nvidia driver.
I've a guide but in italian. I can to try translate it:
Warning Print this guide, because you will have to arrest the server x and GUI.
1) First control which are that just for your card video here:
2) Download driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
3) Install and support library:
sudo apt-get install binutils build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) pkg-config xserver-xorg-dev #(all on the same line)
4) Remove old driver on your computer:
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx-new nvidia-glx nvidia-settings nvidia-glx-legacy #(all on the same line)
5) Open and edit linux-restricted-modules:
sudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
6) You add to the line DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
If it doesn't exist, to create it.
7) To press the keys CTRL+ALT+F1 to stop server X and go to the virtual terminal tty1. You write the user login and password. Now stopping Gnome:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
If you have kde, write:
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
You go to the directory where you have save the driver nvidia installer (you council to use the home directory, therefore you will not have yourself to be moved).
9) Write commando:
sudo sh your nvidia driver
-pkg1.run -a -n -N
10)To the term of the process the installer ask you if you want that it configure your xorg.conf file, answer y (yes).
11)Restart the server X:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
or if you have kde:
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
12) you control that in your file xorg.conf it's all right:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In the section Module delete (if they exist) the lines:
And you add if not there is
If not there is, in the section Device change the line:
(o Driver "vesa")
(o Driver "fbdev")
In the section screen add:
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
and control that DefaultDepth is 24
Add at the end of file:
Option "Composite" "Enable"
Save and go.
Try this, it's the best way that i tried.