Why do these apps look so ugly on openbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iwantmylinux

Why do these apps look so ugly on openbox

Post by iwantmylinux »

Hi everyone,
I have set up my openbox. It's fine for the most part, but some apps just look plain ugly.

I have the Cinnamon edition of Mint
What can I do to fix this?
It looks bad in vs code and opera
uglymenu.png
The menu look fine on firefox though
goodmenu.png
Anything I can do about this?

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Why do these apps look so ugly on openbox

Post by ajgreeny »

Have you tried changing the openbox configuration or preferences used?

I am using Debian-10-Testing on an old netbook with Atom 270N CPU with 1G ram and that uses openbox as window manager; it looks absolutely fine to me though I do not have the applications that you are saying look ugly to test.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Some applications do not follow the theme, evince (pdf reader) is one, epiphany browser is another. There may be settings in the preferences for each application that tell it to use the theme. Why using openbox in mint and not the default muffin?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

iwantmylinux wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:42 pm I have set up my openbox. It's fine for the most part...
And it will stay that way. It's beyond me why people insist on taking the carburetor out of a Porsche and tossing in a carburetor off a Trabant and then expect it to work, but there you are. When you do this kind of thing, you're basically on your own, and you are expected to be knowledgeable enough to sort your own problems out. If you want openbox, install a distro that comes with it.
iwantmylinux

Post by iwantmylinux »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:56 pm
iwantmylinux wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:42 pm I have set up my openbox. It's fine for the most part...
And it will stay that way. It's beyond me why people insist on taking the carburetor out of a Porsche and tossing in a carburetor off a Trabant and then expect it to work, but there you are. When you do this kind of thing, you're basically on your own, and you are expected to be knowledgeable enough to sort your own problems out. If you want openbox, install a distro that comes with it.
Would you mind pointing me to the right direction to become knowledgeable enough then?
I did find some post suggesting this is about gtk theme and the gnome-settings-daemon. I didn't include it in the post because I didn't want to assume anything.

And the gnome-settings-daemon appears to work differently now, and I can't figure out how to start it.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

iwantmylinux wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:20 pm Would you mind pointing me to the right direction to become knowledgeable enough then?
Knowledge comes with experience, and your question implies that someone other than yourself is aware of what you aren't knowledgeable in. I can't read minds, so the only thing that can be said is research, experiment, and practice.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I recommend SliTaz.
You can even start it from floppy disks.
Wonderful retro feeling.
Features
SliTaz uses the Openbox window manager.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SliTaz ...... http://slitaz.org/en
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

iwantmylinux wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:42 pm The menu look fine on firefox though
Different fonts.

You should have some config files in ~/.config/openbox/*.xml

I run fluxbox installed on a Mint or Ubuntu base; you get the same "light" result as installing a specialized distro, but it's easier. Do an internet search on openbox settings.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you haven't, install obconf. You can manually edit the settings in $HOME/.config/openbox/rc.xml.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's going to look uglier than Cinnamon if you're using a tiling WM, you can't have it both ways.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
iwantmylinux

Post by iwantmylinux »

Flemur wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:56 pm
iwantmylinux wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:42 pm The menu look fine on firefox though
Different fonts.

You should have some config files in ~/.config/openbox/*.xml

I run fluxbox installed on a Mint or Ubuntu base; you get the same "light" result as installing a specialized distro, but it's easier. Do an internet search on openbox settings.
My suspicion is that the fonts in the openbox/*.xml files aren't being applied to these guys.
I believe the one from the good screnshots do use the font that I have defined through obconf

Return to “Software & Applications”