Touchpad behaviour in Cinnamon/MATE/Xfce/Kubuntu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zzora

Touchpad behaviour in Cinnamon/MATE/Xfce/Kubuntu

Post by zzora »

Hi guys,
I'd like to know if any other desktop versions have the same option to set the behaviour of the touchpad's corners as KDE has. Soon I'll have to switch to a new edition, and it's a crucial feature for me since I don't use a mouse and I need a corner to function as the middle mouse button. I'm interested in all other Mint desktops as well as Kubuntu (my most possible next choice) and KDE Neon. I briefly tried Cinnamon two years ago and I couldn't find this option, but maybe I just wasn't thorough enough.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Welcome
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Touchpad behaviour in Cinnamon/MATE/Xfce/Kubuntu

Post by Welcome »

https://askubuntu.com/a/141460

According to this link from 2012 regarding older versions of Ubuntu...
I found out that the touchpad has different settings for taps at the corners, and if you tap at the bottom right corner it does Right click. But if you tap at the top right corner it does Middle click. This is the default setting.
Doesn't seem to work for LM20 Cinnamon.

But, one of the touchpad options on Cinnamon is to use multiple fingers for right and middle click. Two fingers does the right click. Tested the 3 fingers for middle click with xev and it works, too.
zzora

Post by zzora »

Hi, thanks for your answer. KDE has separate settings for 1/2/3 fingers and the custom corner taps, that's what would be most ideal for me on Cinnamon too.
Welcome
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Welcome »

I found a post from earlier this year that is about the middle click in the upper right corner. In this case, andrew0530 wanted to turn it off.
andrew0530 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:01 am Hello. After updating to Tricia 19.3 whenever I tap my touchpad in the top right corner, it does a middle click. This results in tabs closing, words pasting, and sometimes just no click at all. I'm not sure if it's because of the update, but I didn't have this problem before. Would it be possible to disable this middle click function entirely?
andrew0530 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 am My settings for two-finger and three-finger click emulation are off. But two-finger and three-finger clicks do cause right and middle click (respectively). I've been doing two-finger clicks for a while, but have never done three-finger clicks. This is what my mouse preferences look like

My problem is that middle-click occurs whenever I tap on the top-right quarter of the touchpad, and this is causing me some annoyance. Is this meant to happen, or is it just on my laptop?
My guess is that this was in Linux Mint 19.3 Mate, but I'm not sure.

Return to “Software & Applications”