How to set imap.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hamster123
Level 1
Level 1

How to set imap.

Post by Hamster123 »

Hi all,

I am using the Awesome WM and it is rather lovely. I have set it up rather nicely (at least I am happy with it) but I got utterly stuck on setting up the mail notification. How do I do it?

I have downloaded my defaults from https://github.com/lcpz/awesome-copycats
and I am trying to get it to work.

In the https://github.com/lcpz/lain/blob/33c0e ... t/imap.lua I changed

Code: Select all

local imap       = { widget = args.widget or wibox.widget.textbox() }
    local server     = imap.google.com                                             <<---
    local mail       = myaccname@gmail.com                                    <<---
    local password   = my password                                                 <<---
    local port       = args.port or 993
    local timeout    = 2 or 60                                                           <<---
    local pwdtimeout = args.pwdtimeout or 10
    local is_plain   = args.is_plain or false
    local followtag  = args.followtag or false
    local notify     = args.notify or "on"
    local settings   = args.settings or function() end
I made the arrows <<--- to indicate my changes. Than, in the https://github.com/lcpz/awesome-copycat ... /theme.lua I made uncommented the following parts
-- Mail IMAP check
-- commented because it needs to be set before use
local mailicon = wibox.widget.imagebox()
theme.mail = lain.widget.imap({
timeout = 180,
server = "server",
mail = "mail",
password = "keyring get mail",
settings = function()
if mailcount > 0 then
mailicon:set_image(theme.widget_mail)
widget:set_markup(markup.fontfg(theme.font, "#cccccc", mailcount .. " "))
else
widget:set_text("")
--mailicon:set_image() -- not working in 4.0
mailicon._private.image = nil
mailicon:emit_signal("widget::redraw_needed")
mailicon:emit_signal("widget::layout_changed")
end
end
})
--]]
But the second I refresh awesome Wm, it crashes, saying that "Oops, an error happoened! .../awesome/rc.lua: attempt to call a nill value (field 'at_screen_connect')" and "Oops, there were errors during startup! error while running function! stack traceback .../awesome/rc.lua: in local 'func' /usr/share/awesome/lib/aweful/screen.lua: in function 'awful.screen.connect_for_erach_screen'..."

I am clearly making a silly mistake, but I am not able to figure it out :( . Can someone explain it to me :)...

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to set imap.

Post by Hoser Rob »

There aren't many awesome wm users here AFAIK, you may be better off here: https://awesomewm.org/community/
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hamster123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hamster123 »

Sadly, there are not that many forums listed there either. I once tried the stackexchange and frankly, that was a bust..

But thanks. Hey, maybe someone will know it. It is not the most urgent of questions and I will keep rechecking...
benjammin1001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benjammin1001 »

Without knowing anything else about what you're using to connect to Google via IMAP,

Keep in mind, 993 is the SSL version of IMAP (imaps) where 143 is the non-SSL IMAP.

It might be worth while to try regular IMAP (no SSL) first and see if that works?

I used IMAP with Gmail via Thunderbird as well as run my own email server and use IMAP (both in SSL modes).

So I can say - google works with IMAP... but I don't know if your client does.

Additionally, there are multiple encoding methods for the password payload. It would be a good idea to find out what your client supports and match that against what google supports.

Cheers,

-Ben

Return to “Software & Applications”