Whole Desktop Shifted 3 mm to the Right.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dmburkus
Level 2
Level 2

Whole Desktop Shifted 3 mm to the Right.

Post by dmburkus »

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but if not, I would appreciate being directed to the proper place to ask this question.

Since I first started using Linux Mint (this is not a version-specific issue), the entire desktop is shifted 3 mm to the right. In other words, there is a black strip 3 mm wide along the left side of the screen. As a result, the last digit of the time is cut off. The same monitor is used for a Windows PC without any issues (I have a KVM switch). Only the Linux Mint PC causes this problem, and I have not been able to find how to resolve the matter. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Whole Desktop Shifted 3 mm to the Right.

Post by SMG »

Is the display size showing as correct in the Displays app?

Please provide information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware. Maybe there is something related to a graphics driver that might be causing this to happen.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Does your browser have a way to show full screen, hide, shrink screen? If so try to change the display to shrink/expand.
dmburkus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dmburkus »

Thank you both for your replies.

SMG, the results from running "inxi -Fxxxrz" are:

Code: Select all

daniel@dmburkus:~$ inxi -Fxxxrz
System:
  Host: dmburkus Kernel: 5.4.0-72-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1 tk: Gtk 3.22.30 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 
  dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: LG product: *S v: KF41 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Gigabyte model: 8i915-LGE serial: <filter> BIOS: Award v: KF41 
  date: 01/26/2006 
CPU:
  Topology: Single Core model: Intel Pentium 4 bits: 64 type: MT 
  arch: Netburst Smithfield rev: 3 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 bogomips: 11970 
  Speed: 2800 MHz min/max: 2800/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2800 2: 2800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD RV370 [Radeon X300] driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
  chip ID: 1002:5b60 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,radeon 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: ATI RV370 v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  chip ID: 8086:2668 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-72-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte 
  driver: r8169 v: kernel port: a000 bus ID: 03:05.0 chip ID: 10ec:8169 
  IF: enp3s5 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 335.36 GiB used: 23.19 GiB (6.9%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda model: HS-SSD-C100 240G size: 223.57 GiB speed: <unknown> 
  serial: <filter> rev: V4.9 scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Sapphire size: 111.79 GiB speed: <unknown> 
  serial: <filter> rev: 04.6 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 217.41 GiB used: 22.81 GiB (10.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1 
  ID-2: /boot size: 703.5 MiB used: 386.3 MiB (54.9%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sda1 
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 980.0 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2 
Sensors:
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com tricia main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner
Info:
  Processes: 173 Uptime: 1h 09m Memory: 2.43 GiB used: 967.1 MiB (38.9%) 
  Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 alt: 7 Shell: bash 
  v: 4.4.20 running in: xfce4-terminal inxi: 3.0.32 
daniel@dmburkus:~$ 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GELvdH, you asked "Does your browser have a way to show full screen, hide, shrink screen? If so try to change the display to shrink/expand." It is not a browser problem, but apparently the way that the operating system is dealing with the monitor. The monitor has buttons to move what is displayed, but they do not seem to do anything (the monitor is a Korean "A.Prestige" unit, and I have no idea what the text says -- though attempting to use this function the way other monitors work does not produce any results). As I said, this only is an issue with Linux. The Windows o/s fits the desktop to the monitor.

Anyway, I hope the above helps to give you some insight into the machine. Thank you both for your help.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

dmburkus wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:57 pmThe monitor has buttons to move what is displayed, but they do not seem to do anything (the monitor is a Korean "A.Prestige" unit, and I have no idea what the text says -- though attempting to use this function the way other monitors work does not produce any results).
This is the only way I know of "re-aligning" the graphics.
dmburkus wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:57 pmAs I said, this only is an issue with Linux. The Windows o/s fits the desktop to the monitor.
I am presuming the resolution showing is the resolution of your monitor, correct?

Graphics:
Device-1: AMD RV370 [Radeon X300] driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
chip ID: 1002:5b60
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,radeon
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: ATI RV370 v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes

The radeon graphics driver comes from the kernel. I'm guessing you changed kernels when you switched from LM19.2 to LM19.3, so if there were any changes to the driver (improvements or bug fixes) then it appears that did not make a difference.

The only idea I have seen people do with graphics is to add a custom resolution which would be smaller than the current (1900 x 1080 for example), but if the monitor is adjusting the signal it gets from the computer, I'm not sure that would help.

I do not have an Xfce desktop, but maybe changing the Windows compositor might have an effect on this? I do not know, but am just tossing out ideas.
dmburkus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dmburkus »

Thank you, SMG, for your reply.

The resolution is 1920 x 1080.

The buttons do not work: all of the buttons either move the highlighted area up or down along the list of settings (brightness, adjusting the dimensions -- which is the one that would effect this issue -- color, on screen display, and adjustments), or they close the list. None of them allow me to adjust any of these settings.

> The radeon graphics driver comes from the kernel. I'm guessing you changed kernels when you switched from LM19.2 to LM19.3, so if there
> were any changes to the driver (improvements or bug fixes) then it appears that did not make a difference.

The issue was present with the earlier version of Linux that I was using as well.

> The only idea I have seen people do with graphics is to add a custom resolution which would be smaller than the current (1900 x 1080 for
> example), but if the monitor is adjusting the signal it gets from the computer, I'm not sure that would help.

I do not understand how to do that, but since it seems to be a case of the monitor adjusting to the signal, I do not see how that would change anything.

> I do not have an Xfce desktop, but maybe changing the Windows compositor might have an effect on this? I do not know, but am just tossing
> out ideas.

Again, I do not know how to do that. Linux appears to be a highly counterintuitive operating system, at least in my own opinion. And solutions proposed on line do not seem to be applicable. Should I post this question in a different forum, if this is not the appropriate place for it?

At any rate, thank you for taking the time to try helping me. Please have a good weekend.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

this is not a version-specific issue
Interesting problem. So you think this would occur on a live boot on 19.3 cinnamon and other Linux OS?
I would try different OS and different combinations of machines and monitors.
Confirm that another monitor connected to your machine does the same thing. I suspect it will.
Bypass the KVM switch. Maybe even try a different connecting cable - something other than HDMI if that is available.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

dmburkus wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:23 pmThe issue was present with the earlier version of Linux that I was using as well.
I do not know what "earlier version of Linux" is. Linux is the kernel. Mint is the operating system, but there are also other operating systems that use Linux.
dmburkus wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:23 pm> I do not have an Xfce desktop, but maybe changing the Windows compositor might have an effect on this? I do not know, but am just tossing
> out ideas.

Again, I do not know how to do that. Linux appears to be a highly counterintuitive operating system, at least in my own opinion. And solutions proposed on line do not seem to be applicable.
Check to see if there is an app called Windows and see what options it has.

I do not know what you are comparing it to in order to say it is "counter-intuitive". There is a difference between something being what you are used to using and something being intuitive.
dmburkus wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:23 pmShould I post this question in a different forum, if this is not the appropriate place for it?
I've not heard of others having this issue, so it may be related to your specific hardware. Unless there is a forum where you can ask others with the same monitor about it, I'm not sure where you would post it.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I came from the Mainframe, CP-M, MS-Dos, L-Dos, Windows community so maybe I am dating myself, believe me there are operating environments which are much more difficult to deal with than LM.
I remember that I had a problem with LM which was not happening in Windows when I had it dual boot. I will look through my LM history and try to find what it was.
dmburkus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dmburkus »

Thank you very much, GELvdH, for going to the trouble of searching. The issue is more of an annoyance than a real problem (I changed the time to include "AM" and "PM," so now it is the "M" that is cut off, rather than the right-most number). But I would still like to resolve this matter, if it is possible for me to do so.

Return to “Software & Applications”