No buttons!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rayburn
Level 1
Level 1

No buttons!

Post by rayburn »

Hi, I started up Beryl yesterday, and now when I open Firefox or any other program, I do not have the minimise/close buttons in the top right corner. The only way to close is via the file menu. I have removed Beryl via Synaptic, to no effect, I also followed the advice given on another thread and ran the command:

sudo aptitude purge metacity

It is still the same!

I would appreciate any help.

Apologies for posting this in the wrong forum originally.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Apology accepted. Your other post deleted.
There are tons of answers to your question in the forum
Take a look at the how to(s) for Beryl in the how to section and posts in the general help and this section
Last edited by Husse on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
rayburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rayburn »

Thanks for the reply, but I don't now have beryl installed (I removed it using synaptic), so how do I go about getting those buttons back?

All the threads I have seen are about configuring beryl.
rayburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rayburn »

Thanks for your patience, beryl now installed again, however, I now only have a 'beryl settings manager' in the menu, and not a beryl entry as well as I had originally. Any clues?
rayburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rayburn »

No go I'm afraid, I have emerald installed according to synaptic, yet there is only an emerald theme manager in the menu. Looks like a reinstall to me.... Great shame because I was getting on with it beautifully until I clicked on that wretched 'beryl' button..!
rayburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rayburn »

No!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Certainly you have an entry for Beryl in the menu - you need to "click start" Beryl - but I suppose you know that
3Angels
Level 1
Level 1

The answer

Post by 3Angels »

Doyou have an NVidia card then this is the problem:

type this on terminal and i know it will work

run « sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24 », then restart !X

dont forget run this part -d 24 with the command..

hope it will work

see ya

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3059212
rayburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rayburn »

Just to let you all know, I 'solved' this problem by doing a complete reinstall, not bad really as it took about 45mins, which included installing extra software and tweaking a few files. It is now back to normal!

Many thanks to all who tried to help.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Reinstall may be overkill, but the beauty if Mint (among others) is that with home on a separate partition a reinstall is quick, and even most of your settings are still there (saved in home)

Return to “Software & Applications”