Progress...

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Progress...

Post by Kendall »

I've started heavy development on Mint 9 LXDE. There will be both 32 bit and 64 bit versions this time around. I have both core systems ready to go and I just need to add packages, screw with settings, and debug a bunch of things. I've had session errors that now seem to be resolved, there were some pretty nasty seg faults with the panel that I think I've just about got nailed (see screenshot), I need to figure out how to make minor edits to both the gtk theme and the lxdm theme, etc, etc, etc.

I've decided to go ahead and use the Shiki-Wise theme this time around, and the panel will probably very closely resemble the main edition as I'm going to use the stock menu logo. I hope to start uploading development builds to the rest of the team for testing within the next couple of days. Here's a teaser of my progress so far:
Attachments
2010-05-06-230122_1280x800_scrot.png
2010-05-06-230122_1280x800_scrot.png (566.47 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.

vger7
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Progress...

Post by vger7 »

I'm really looking fwd to it!
I'm running Mint 8 / LXDE now and love it!

But I'm a bit concerned with LXDE's 'newer' file manager losing some functionality.
( I've see the changes in Lubuntu on a VM)
But We shall see.

Anyway, I don't know how you find the time for this, peppermint, a job, and still have a life.

Thanx a bunch for your work. It's much appreciated! :D

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

vger7 wrote:But I'm a bit concerned with LXDE's 'newer' file manager losing some functionality.
( I've see the changes in Lubuntu on a VM)
But We shall see.
It's been brought up before, but overall pcmanfm is more solid. Honestly I'd rather have stability than features, but hopefully some of the lost features will make their way back in before it hits version 1.0. PCMan had an email about adding some modules not long ago but Mario Behling (the head of LXDE) and Julien Laverne (the Lubuntu maintainer) decided it would be the best course of action to wait and do more testing before implementing any serious changes. As a result version 0.9.5 included only bug fixes. I think some added functionality will return for 0.9.6.
vger7 wrote:Anyway, I don't know how you find the time for this, peppermint, a job, and still have a life.
It's 8:23 PM local time and I'm having another espresso drink.
vger7 wrote:Thanx a bunch for your work. It's much appreciated! :D
You're welcome. :wink:

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

A couple of fixes applied that improve upon Mint 8:

- Startup processes are now set up properly and are configurable through the "Desktop Session Settings" applicatioin.
- /usr/games has been added to the system $PATH variable

linuxopjemac
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxopjemac »

Nice work Kendall. Once you have it finished, I will start porting it on my Pismo. I think about an Isadora release of this after Debian Squeeze is stable (somewhere in August probably). Hopefully I can then also make an iso, instead of a script. It will then also be possible to have more mint programs ported, as Lenny was too old to have everything built easily. I needed too many new libraries which meant rebuilding Lenny. I was not up to that. What I see on my forum and in the Apple Ubuntu forum that people are quite happy with Mint LXDE PPC. That's the reason I will continue...to make people happy...

Asheguy79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Asheguy79 »

Less talk more work!
" Life goes by so fast. You only want to do what you think is right. Close your eyes and its past, story of my life." Social Distortion

Asheguy79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Asheguy79 »

Dude it looks awesome can't wait for it to release! 8)
" Life goes by so fast. You only want to do what you think is right. Close your eyes and its past, story of my life." Social Distortion

Craig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Craig »

I'm a big fan of your work Kendall, I'm looking forward to try this but also Peppermint as well on Monday. LXDE is doing very well and going in the right direction in creating the speed we need and you seem to be taking it further in your work.

Thanks for your great work, keep it up. :)

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

Thanks guys.

The current development build has been uploaded for testing and 3 bugs have been uncovered so far. Fortunately they're all simple fixes. I'm going to try to get through these in the next couple of hours and have another iso up this evening.

.ee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by .ee »

I am also a happy user of LXDE Mint 8 since its beta, and would like to help testing the new version.

I tried betas of Lubuntu 4.04, but I found Mint LXDE 8 from the box much more usable (and also familiar to me, a long term Mint user).

LXDE edition is now a primary OS I am using on my second ultraportable notebook (sonoma generation) I hope to use its new edition also on my main working tablet notebook (Core 2 Duo generation) if I will manage to make the tablet functionality working right (Gnome Mint 8 did it to some extent, but not the the extent I would boot to it more often than to Windows 7).

Please post the links to first betas as soon as they are ready for testing.

coman norbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coman norbert »

@Kendall
Thanks...Thanks... for Peppermint!!!
Fantastic job! Fast, easy, social, superb.
Peppermint is the best LXDE distro on the planet!
Superb job, Kendall.

genozzolo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by genozzolo »

Kendall wrote:Thanks guys.

The current development build has been uploaded for testing and 3 bugs have been uncovered so far. Fortunately they're all simple fixes. I'm going to try to get through these in the next couple of hours and have another iso up this evening.
thought it was being released that evening hehe

I saw you did Peppermint, atm running on my laptop :)

It look nice, except I dont like Prism, but that my personal taste hehe

I fixed also the ati fan problem on my dell so everything fine.

Now first time I ask this but I got a laptop dell studio 1555, dual core 2,4ghz, ati 4500 I think and 4gb ram. I changed from windows cause I prefer linux, and I hate when Ive such a fast laptop and I click on stuffs and take seconds to open, horrible.

I also had ubuntu 9,1 but after some was getting slow, not as windows ofc :-)

So I tryed many distro but Linux Mint 8 surprised me , its fast and looking nice.

Now I've installed Peppermint, its very fast.

You said somewhere on interview, you or someone of peppermint, that peppermint should be even faster then Mint. So its better I keep this peppermint or Mint 9 when comes out ?

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

will you please be so kind as in saying how long will it came out after mint 9 stable release it out

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

Losgann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Losgann »

I believe the answer is, "in due course". :)

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

staffie wrote:will you please be so kind as in saying how long will it came out after mint 9 stable release it out
I'll be uploading another development build for the team either tonight or tomorrow. I'm not at liberty to discuss further details just yet. :wink:
Crunnluath wrote:I believe the answer is, "in due course".
Exactly.

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

The current development build has been uploaded for testing. Hopefully exploder will have time to dissect it this evening.

robsmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robsmint »

Thanks for your time and efforts on this Kendall. Lots of us out here appreciate and admire your work.
BTW - great job on PeppermintOS. That is a smooth startup process.

Tarax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tarax »

Development Build = Open for anyone or only for developer team? If open for anyone, where can I check it out?

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

Tarax wrote:Development Build = Open for anyone or only for developer team? If open for anyone, where can I check it out?
Only available to the Mint devs. We make it a point to keep all testing internal. Sorry.

markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend »

I can't wait to try it out! :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the hard work.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

Return to “Others”