Progress...

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Progress...

Post by Kendall »

Uploading another development build right now. Several bugs have been addressed.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.

zoof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zoof »

Kendall wrote:
Tarax wrote:Development Build = Open for anyone or only for developer team? If open for anyone, where can I check it out?
Only available to the Mint devs. We make it a point to keep all testing internal. Sorry.
What about a use at your own risk alpha release? I'm dying for a lightweight debian/ubuntu based distro (not too enthralled with lubuntu). I'm currently using a roll your own Arch install but honestly, I'd prefer a non-rolling release distro.

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

zoof wrote:What about a use at your own risk alpha release? I'm dying for a lightweight debian/ubuntu based distro (not too enthralled with lubuntu). I'm currently using a roll your own Arch install but honestly, I'd prefer a non-rolling release distro.
Mint policy forbids me to leak development builds, but I'd check the mirrors if I were you. :wink:

There are also other lightweight Ubuntu-based distros if you want something to mess around with until the announcement for the release candidate.

zoof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zoof »

Kendall wrote: Mint policy forbids me to leak development builds, but I'd check the mirrors if I were you. :wink:

There are also other lightweight Ubuntu-based distros if you want something to mess around with until the announcement for the release candidate.
Sweet! I've probably tried all of the Ubuntu-based ones and they're not making me happy. I tried out your Peppermint OS as a bootable USB and it looks pretty nice. Which is what led me to LXDE CE... If it's anywhere near as clean and functional as Peppermint, you've got a winner!

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

I wonder what this is?

robsmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robsmint »

Thanks a lot. Why is this download so slow? Can't wait to try. Is 64 bit far away?
Cheers.

deleted

Post by deleted »

Very nice...
Looks great...
Thanks Kendall
-Hinto

nico
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nico »

Wow i am just downloading it right now.....thank you very much Kendall
Nico

zoof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zoof »

Just tried it out as a live usb and it's looking pretty good. When I have some time, I'll install it on my Aspire One and give it a full workout.
robsmint wrote:Is 64 bit far away?
Cheers.
+1

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

I must regretfully state that my original plan to produce a 64 bit version has been overruled. Simply put, the LXDE edition is still very much a niche market thing, whereas the x64 for the Gnome edition still isn't coming close to 50% use compared to the i386. Essentially it's a lot of work to build and maintain an edition and, looking at it from the maintenance side of things, it's difficult to justify building LXDE x64 for only a handful of people. I'm sorry, but the decision wasn't mine. I'll revisit it for Mint 10 and see what things are looking like then.

robsmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robsmint »

Kendall wrote: I'll revisit it for Mint 10 and see what things are looking like then.
Thanks for the update on this even though a little disappointing but understandable nonetheless.
Congrats on a great job on this RC release. Not sure about Xfburn though. Gave it a bit of a try but it doesn't copy discs and doesn't measure up to my preferred burning app K3b.
Overall it's a top distro.
Rob.

drewkeller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drewkeller »

Very nice.

What is the intended method for filesharing on a network? I went to Preferences > Sharing, but it (shares-admin) only knows about NFS. I need to share with Windows computers, too. I messed around a bit with pyNeighborhood, but it failed scanning. It wouldn't let me add pcmanfm to the file managers, either, so I'm not sure it's working properly.

The easiest way seemed to be to add the nautilus-share package (pulled in 7 pkgs).

vger7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vger7 »

Thanks for the hint Kendall!
Running it Live right now!
Looks good. Nice selection of apps. Everything seems to be working
fine. Only problem was at boot. After the little dots did their thing, I had a black
screen for some time. I though the system was hungup, but finally the desktop
popped up.

Gonna put it in VB a bit later and work it.
Great job!
UB da man! :mrgreen:

msm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by msm »

Looks great! Have to figure out how to add apps to the panel.

Many thanks for a great OS :D

Baptou
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baptou »

Hey Kendall,

I just wanted to join everyone to congratulate and thank you on this new release. I know it's not final yet but it looks very promising.

I discovered LXDE a couple of months ago with Lubuntu and I couldn't wait to see what a Mintified version would look like. Needless to say, I'm very impressed!

I had read on this very forum that the LXDE edition was supposedly "bloated" but an htop after a fresh installation shows a ridiculously tiny 128mb of RAM usage vs 108mb for my Lubuntu setup. In my opinion this extra footprint is negligible considering the value brought by the Mint additions. I read that GNOME dependencies are almost inevitable when building a distro around LXDE (or XFCE) but it seems you managed to keep them at a very reasonnable and unintrusive level.

As expected from a Mint-branded distro, the polish and attention to details give it a definite edge in terms of user friendliness over its parent distro. I'm espcially fond of the Shiki/Gnome Wise combination, the inclusion of the DMZ cursors, GNOME Alsa Mixer, the Shared Folder Assistant, the Software Center and Mint Update. You just saved me the two days of customization and googling it took me to get my Lubuntu desktop where I wanted it.

I mainly use Lubuntu/Mint LXDE on a first gen EEE PC (701 4G) so I can't say I agree with all the software choices (screen real-estate is precious) but I won't complain since they are just that: choices. I can revert them very easily, even more so with the slick Software Center.

There is only one thing I'd like to suggest for the final release and that's the inclusion of the Droid Fonts by default just like in the main edition. Then again, they're just a one liner away so it's no big deal.

Talking about the ISO, I really wonder how you were able to pack so much more stuff than Lubuntu (Firefox, Thunderbird, the GIMP, Java etc...) yet are only 70 mb over Lubuntu's ISO?

Many thanks again for all your hardwork. If I understood things right, you're also behind Peppermint? Man, I really need to fix my Paypal and credit card issues...

FrogDemon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FrogDemon »

Well, Kendall, I see you were over ruled on the production of an x64 LXDE, but doesn't mean we are banned from making one ourselves does it? I am currently looking into rolling it myself. Once I figure out what all appz and things you did in the x86 edition.
Release The Beast Within!!! Use Linux Mint!!!

vger7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vger7 »

Ok, a quick report back.

83 meg idle footprint, with terminal open and htop running.
After installing guest additions, memory size went to 92 meg,
same as I'm seeing in Mint 8/LXDE.

Had a little problem getting guest additions going. It seems that gcc
was not install so it could not compile. I don't recall this with Mint 8.
Was gcc included before? I don't recall for sure. I seem to remember an effortless
setup.

You may want to add gcc to the iso.

Also not found:
Firestarter, (probably loaded, but no gui)
A Screenshot tool.

BTW, Good call with Abiword and Gnumeric vs. OpenOfiice.

Will play more later.

I got 3 days off work but wife is crackin' the whip.
(No rest for the wicked) :mrgreen:

deleted

Post by deleted »

robsmint wrote:Thanks a lot. Why is this download so slow? Can't wait to try. Is 64 bit far away?
Cheers.
You can replace the generic kernel with the PAE version . It works for me.

zoof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zoof »

Hi Kendall,

Installed it on my Aspire One and everything is working great. The only problem I've run across is that libpam-gnome-keyring is not installed by default and without it, one needs to type in the keyring password with every login.

Cheers,
zoof

Baptou
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baptou »

Hey again,

I just stumbled upon this other version of the Shiki theme on deviantart. It was made in January 2010:

I've been using it for a month on Lubuntu and didn't encounter any bug. I find it slightly more polished (especially the desktop switcher and active window title bar) and close to the original gnome version.

You can download it here:

I realize it's nitpicking but since Mint is about polish and little details...

P.S: Sorry if this post doesn't belong here, feel free to move/delete

Return to “Others”