Before you post please read how to get help
Baptou
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Progress...

Post by Baptou »

Hello all,

@senseiski

It appears you are right! Man, I have been away from Mint for two years and it's starting to show! It's my first time using the LXDE edition so I didn't know...

Personally, I find Gigolo much easier to use. I had pyNeighborhood work but I had to change the shortcut to start it with gksudo and/or add sudo in front of the mount commands in the preferences. I also changed the mount point to a folder in my home directory for easier access. The "open in file manager" command never seemed to work and neither did the network scan... I had to add the machines of my network one by one. Plus, I wasn't too pleased about starting a program with root privileges. All in all, it worked alright but it was too much hassle. Gigolo on the other hand works like a charm. Sure, it pulls in the gvfs dependency but it seems PCManFM works better with it for now. Installing GVFS actually solved my Input/Ouput errors where I couldn't delete files on my SDHC card. As I understand, PCMan is expected to have full Udisks + udev support integrated within PCManFM in the future so using GVFS is just a temporary solution.

Anyways, Mint is about ease of use out of the box so unless that nowhere-to-be-found pyNeighborhood 0.5.1 lucid package fixes all these problems, I think I'll keep using Gigolo.

By the way Kendall, do you plan on releasing PCManFM updates along the way (0.9.7 etc...) or will we have to wait for Maverick?

Edi: edited for clarity
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

pcmanfm2 updates will be released as necessary. To properly maintain a distro you have the think about the present as well as the future.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.
magian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by magian »

Hey Kendall,

I just wanted to drop a note here thanking you for a great, little distro. I have thrown Ubuntu 10.04 UNE off of my Acer Aspire One and and now running Linux Mint 9 LXDE after seeing that it ran faster from a Live USB stick than the installed Ubuntu on the HD!!! :)

Perfect netbook OS. I will recommend it to my friends and colleagues.

Scott Mortimer
Brussels, Belgium
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

I think it's about time I wipe my original XP installation (trialware and all) off my netbook and give this a go on something other than my far more powerful desktop.
senseiski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by senseiski »

I tried the RC on my brother's Toshiba Satellite and it was rock-solid, with the exception that because of pulse audio I was unable to play flash videos with sound until I installed the flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound. Why bother with pulse?
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

I haven't had time to try anything else on my netbook yet (I finished setting it up at 1:30am this morning), but double-clicking on text files doesn't open them with any default application and neither does right-clicking and selecting Open. I have to right click and pick Leafpad or Abiword.
Baptou
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baptou »

@Kendall: Awesome news!

@randomizer: I have the same problem but only with text files on my SD card. Text files on the desktop or home directory open as expected. MP3 or videos on the SD card open without any problems though...
robsmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robsmint »

randomizer wrote:double-clicking on text files doesn't open them with any default application and neither does right-clicking and selecting Open. I have to right click and pick Leafpad or Abiword.
If you right click and choose "Open With" there is a tick box to select your application as the default for this file type.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

robsmint wrote:If you right click and choose "Open With" there is a tick box to select your application as the default for this file type.
I set the application to open with in the file properties as Leafpad but it still didn't open when double-clicked. I don't remember seeing an "Open With" option but I may have overlooked it.
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Insane1 »

randomizer wrote:
robsmint wrote:If you right click and choose "Open With" there is a tick box to select your application as the default for this file type.
I set the application to open with in the file properties as Leafpad but it still didn't open when double-clicked. I don't remember seeing an "Open With" option but I may have overlooked it.
Quick question. Does your flash drive have a space in the name? Or a space in the name of the folder? I noticed PCManFM "2" doesn't seem to like launching default apps in that scenario yet. At least not with text files.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

Nope, no spaces in the name and the file is in the flash drive's root, no folders.

EDIT: Oops, I was thinking of the file name. The flash drive has no name explicitly set, so it's whatever the default is.
moB dicK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by moB dicK »

Great distro Kendall!

found a few "bugs", most of which are discussed here already.
Thought to mention these two in case not mentioned elsewhere:

1. Synaptic
-- where is screenshot from "get Screenshot" button?

2. Pcmanfm (2?)
-- doesn't have desktop tab. So if one selects "Show menus provided by window manager..." to try it out &
doesn't like the effect one needs to say (from CLI) "pcmanfm --desktop-pref" to see that menu and set it back.

Thanks very much!
moB

"not too late is it, even now..."
H. Melville, Moby Dick (The Whale), 1851

ps.
For those wanting a 64 bit version there are many pages listed on google with instructions for adding LXDE to ubuntu, which should help you out =) :-)
moB dicK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by moB dicK »

Still a small problem with samba shares. Perhaps it is something I am doing--perhaps an OS issue?

smb://mswinbox0/dvd-r
--not able to open DVD-R on mswin share. Error: "Invalid argument."

Am able to connect to smb://mswinbox0/shareddocs & mswinbox1/shareddocs, though.
Files can be read/write/delete--no problem. These are a XP SP3 systems.

I can see DVD-R is connected, but cannot open folder.
Hmmm... dunno what to think.

I am connecting using Gigolo since pyNeighborhood is broken (as previously noted in this forum.)

This share can be mounted by the other msWin system.
Also works fine from the Puppy box using pnethood.

More info from Mint 9. At lxterminal:

/usr/bin/smbclient -L mswinbox0

<prompted for password>

Domain=[mswinbox0] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
DVD-R Disk
IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
SharedDocs Disk

Domain=[mswinbox0] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------

And from CLI (lxterminal):

smbmount \\\mswinbox0\DVD-R /home/mo/remote
mount error: improperly formatted UNC name. \mswinbox0DVD-R does not begin with \\ or //
No ip address specified and hostname not found
smbmount \\mswinbox0/DVD-R /home/mo/remote
mount error: improperly formatted UNC name. \mswinbox0/DVD-R does not begin with \\ or //

Not doing this correctly, either it seems :-\

I know this is not a support forum, so don't expect instructions, but if it is an OS problem you ought to know about it.

Thanks!
moB

"Peppermint OS – Olympic sprinter with a marketing degree and (possibly) a coke problem."

A bit like Tiny Core "on the juice"?

Return to “Others”