Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
yonatan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 9 LXDE - Some issues

Post by yonatan »

Hi,

first, I choose Linux Mint LXDE because it's the LXDE distro that fits the best my needs and beleives. I loved ArchLinux but I was sick and tired to fix problems after updates!

A little Issue is with the gtkrc theme. If you add a bookmark in Firefox, the bookmark dialog background is mid grey and the text color is light grey. The contrast between both is neerly unreadable. Same thing occured in Mint 8 LXDE, but then, the background was dark grey the text color was black. Could it be solved just for firefox with some theming?

Second is the contrast of the task bar. The background of buttons is mid grey and text is white. It's not really readable, still more than Firefox's bookmark dialog.

Third, is the default installation of gvfs-fuse. This module of gvfs is mandatory to have iPod Touch and iPhones mounted by libgpod and to be accessed by rhythmbox. Gvfs-fuse is not installed by rhythmbox or by libgpod. Is that a libgpod bug? Or ubuntu's libgpod package?

Lastly it's a request. The only way (as far as I know) to have a computer with LXDE that runs multiples user accounts at >>the same time<< and that you can switch between, is to have gdm-2.20 installed. LXDM is really great, but I really want to have my machine accessible to other users and to be able to switch between opened users. GDM-2.20 was packaged in Karmic, it's installable, but the default config file is broken. See ubuntugeek article to fix this : http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-downgr ... armic.html

This is it.

Linux Mint 9 LXDE is mint!
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 9 LXDE - Some issues

Post by Kendall »

I had to do a little bit of screwing with the GTK theme to get anything really readable, feel free to screw with it all you want.

I just caught the bit of the Lubuntu mailing list where PCMan was noting the necessity of gvfs-fuse, so it will be installed by default for the stable release. I've asked to have them list it as a dependency.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.
Baptou
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baptou »

Hey Yonatan,

I don't have an answer for all your questions but I think I may have a fix for your taskbar problem. I'm merely copy and pasting what I found here so all credits goes to them!

You need to edit the panel.rc in /usr/share/themes/Shiki-Wise-LXDE/gtk-2.0 (you'll need root privileges) and add the following lines at the end of the file:

Code: Select all

# fbpanel stuff

style "fbpanel-tclock" = "theme-panel" {
     font_name="Droid Sans"
}

widget "*.tclock.*" style "theme-panel"
widget "*.taskbar.*" style "theme-panel"
widget_class "*GtkBgbox*" style "theme-panel"
The same result is apparently achieved just by adding:

widget "*Panel*" style "theme-panel"
It worked for me and hopefully will work for you too!
yonatan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yonatan »

I don't really know a lot about gtkrc. It would be really awesome if there was a gui for gtkrc editing...

Do you have any place to start (ressources?)
Baptou
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baptou »

Hey again,

There's no need for a particular editor to implement the changes I posted above. Just open a terminal and type

sudo leafpad /usr/share/themes/Shiki-Wise-LXDE/gtk-2.0/panel.rc
Then just copy/paste one of the solutions posted above.

Hope that helps!
robsmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robsmint »

Lovin' Mint 9 LXDE. Now have it on both the desktop and the lappy.
One issue I have not been able to track down is with a "Battery Low" xmessage window coming up as soon as I unplug the ac adapter. I.e. battery is 99% charged (and not down on capacity). I have not been able to find where the battery level is set for this notification to come up. I installed gconf-editor and changed the /apps/gnome-power-manager/thresholds/percentage_low parameter from 10 to 1 to zero etc. but with no effect. Also could not find anything in /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0 that helps.
Anyone know where this setting can be adjusted?

I know this issue may not strictly belong here so feel free to move if required but maybe others may encounter the same problem.

Thanks for any responses.
yonatan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yonatan »

@Baptou,

I found what I wanted, a gui for editing in realtime gtkrc file.

gnome-color-chooser
robsmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robsmint »

robsmint wrote:One issue I have not been able to track down is with a "Battery Low" xmessage window coming up as soon as I unplug the ac adapter.
If I do

cat /usr/lib/lxpanel/plugins/batt.so
I get:

expose_eventbatt: illegal token %s
batt: unknown var %s
xmessage Battery lowblack#28f200#22cc00#ffee00#d9ca00Battery: %d%% charged
amongst the output. As this relates to lxpanel it suggests that this is a different bug to the OP's and different to :

System Suspends/Hibernates when AC is unplugged
1. Ubuntu 4. Bug #421985.

Does this suggest I should raise a bug with Mint? Not familiar with the protocols here.
Thanks
robsmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robsmint »

@Kendall. I tried your suggestion : "Try getting rid of the gnome-power-manager and installing the xfce4-power-manager and the corresponding plugins package. Not all power management works with all hardware."

to see if it would solve this issue but the result is the same.
What is the best way to pass this bug report through the hierarchy?
Thanks.

Return to “Others”