DE for old pc

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
davedarkblade
Level 3
Level 3

DE for old pc

Post by davedarkblade »

Hi folks! I've an old pc, pentium 3 with 512 mb ram, currently with mint 9 lxde (the rc version). I need the most lightest DE so I ask to me what is the best for my needs among lxde, xfce or fluxbox. Thanks!
rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Re: DE for old pc

Post by rich_roast »

It's a close contest, LXDE might just scoop it but they are all very lightweight DEs.

If it's that much of an issue, there is no need to use a DE at all. I know I see an improvement in performance when I run Openbox sessions without LXDE. The Linux Critic's instructions should be portable to Linux Mint, especially if you're running LXDE CE.
davedarkblade
Level 3
Level 3

Post by davedarkblade »

Thanks for the reply! So you suggest lxde. Mint xfce is like xubuntu in terms of lightweight?
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

Fluxbox is just a bit easier on resources than LXDE, but Openbox by itself is lighter and faster than Fluxbox.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend »

IMO with 512MB you don't really need to worry about a lightweight distro davedarkblade; I have the main Gnome edition of Mint running fine on an eeePC that has 512MB.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rich_roast »

It all depends on the volume of the software that's going to be used on top of the DE or WM.

I use OpenBox on a system with a touch more RAM because I appreciate the speed, the efficiency of the desktop and that it provides more resources for doing the things I want to do. Sure makes having Amaya, GIMP, Blender and a couple of browsers on the go all at once with the usual background tasks.

But I totally agree that for any user who isn't going to be so hardcore on running applications simultaneously, and likes the little luxuries that a proper DE affords, 512Meg is just fine.
davedarkblade
Level 3
Level 3

Post by davedarkblade »

markfiend wrote:IMO with 512MB you don't really need to worry about a lightweight distro davedarkblade; I have the main Gnome edition of Mint running fine on an eeePC that has 512MB.
I used the main version until the release of Isadora. Isadora gave me a problem: gnome didn't appear. Ubuntu give this problem too so I think it's a video card problem (my gpu is an intel integrated video card with 32 mb). So I switched to lxde because the other CE have not been released. Then I love to see my desktop reactive xD
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

markfiend wrote:IMO with 512MB you don't really need to worry about a lightweight distro davedarkblade; I have the main Gnome edition of Mint running fine on an eeePC that has 512MB.
However all EEE PC have much stronger processor than P3 was.
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend »

True.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
dudester2010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dudester2010 »

You mention that the machine is a P3 with 512 MB RAM. By chance, is this a laptop? I ask because some older P3 laptops have a problem with video configuration, nothing that can't be worked around.
shengchieh
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shengchieh »

lxde and xfce (plus bloated GNOME & KDE) are desktop environments. Fluxbox, Openbo, iceWM, & some others are window managers.
Here's one link - I couldn't find other quickly, but do a search for "difference between desktop environment andwindow manager".

http://penguinpetes.com/XWM_Guide/index.php

Sheng-Chieh
axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axel668 »

Think LXDE ist a good compromise between light and usable - if you want your DE to "just work", you should stay with LXDE. If you like to tinker with your system, give "plain" openbox a try, but as sheng has already pointed out ob is NOT a de, so be aware that you'll need to take care of things like a panel, a launcher / run dialog, logout dialog, a terminal, a text editor and everything else which comes included with LXDE or XFCE.
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

Try live CD. I think LXDE would work. Maybe even gnome.

I have Gnome on (underclocked) AMD 733 MHz with 1.256 GB RAM, 16 MB graphics card and works well (could be because of ram)

I tried LXDE (Lubuntu) on 256MB ram, 1.2Ghz AMD, 16 MB integrated graphics card - also works very well. XFCE also works good, however Gnome worked better. I am now waiting for final release of Mint 9 LXDE to test it and then decide whather to go Lubuntu or Mint on this one. Cause XP is waaaay too slow.
axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axel668 »

mastablasta wrote:... now waiting for final release of Mint 9 LXDE to test it and then decide whather to go Lubuntu or Mint on this one. Cause XP is waaaay too slow.
using LXDE RC on a daily basis, no problems at all, think it's safe to try it
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)

Return to “Others”