Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

LibreOffice freezes on taskbar (SOLVED)

Post by al.adab »

hello

have been using Mint 10 LXDE for about 6 months on a ThinkPad T42. It worked very well till about 4 months ago. All of a sudden, it began to occasionally freeze - I noticed that this tended to happen when I was using both Firefox and LibreOffice (on a stable wifi connection).

I've just re-installed the whole thing, hoping that the problem would somehow disappear. It hasn't.

Specifically: I have (for instance) three or four LibreOffice docs open + I'm browsing through Firefox. Typically, I close or minimize one of the LibreOffice docs...and Mint no longer responds. The mouse cursor still works, though everything else is stuck. The CPU usage monitor indicates no activity. I can't reboot the machine, close or minimize the remaining windows, or recall any windows from the taskbar. All I can do is to hit ctrl-alt F2, enter my username + password, and then type sudo halt
to shut down the computer....

can you help? thank you!
Last edited by al.adab on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 10 LXDE occasionally freezes (firefox + libreoffice

Post by al.adab »

just noticed something...I have a couple of folders on my desktop. When it freezes (contrary to what I thought) I can right-click on either and get the very LibreOffice document I can no longer recall from the taskbar...I can also access my home folder, click on application, and launch a new Firefox window...

I'm wondering if the whole issue has actually to do with the taskbar. It seems the only desktop feature that's not responding....

I've just deleted + re-created the taskbar - I don't really know if this means anything, but it hasn't frozen in a while now...it does look like a bug, though. Any idea?
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

tested it a bit further: Firefox and/or wifi connection have nothing to do with it.

LibreOffice seems to have some kind of compatibility problem with the LXDE desktop, specifically the taskbar: occasionally, when LibreOffice windows are either closed or minimized, the taskbar freezes.

I've just installed sudo apt-get install libreoffice-gnome to see if this solves any compatibility problem. Will be back on this with updates
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

installing gnome didn't help.

it's getting really annoying. I now got rid of the taskbar. This is perfectly ok, as I can easily recall libreoffice docs from home folder after minimizing them. I don't know how to recall a firefox window, though, or anything else...

is there any keyboard command (or anything else) that allows me to minimize/maxmize windows if I don't have a taskbar?
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

bump? :)
forseti99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by forseti99 »

I have no idea if this might help, once i had a problem like that in xfce with a PC that a client send me to repair, it was freezing all the time and everything seemed normal.
At the end i found out that the problem was the theme i was using. It was Mint-X Metal the one freezing the PC, i changed the theme to "aurora" and voilà, problem solved.

This makes me think that the problem is the "windows manager"
robsmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robsmint »

When it freezes and before you reboot try entering
dmesg |grep error

to see if it is throwing up some error that can be traced. Publish the result if you get one.
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

switched to "aurora" - to no avail. It still freezes. Here's the result of the dmesg |grep error:

@T42 ~ $ dmesg |grep error
[ 17.425782] end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
[ 33.904579] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
[ 38.210880] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=0
[ 44.879848] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=0
[ 1471.077610] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=600
[ 1474.244221] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=0
[ 2800.398863] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=600
[ 2813.250274] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=0

may I point out (once more) that this is happening on a fresh install.
thank you for your help.
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

bump? :)
rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rich_roast »

The errors you got with that dmesg | grep command don't appear to be relevant to this issue.

Did you try forseti99's suggestion?
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

yes, I did. I changed the theme to "Aurora", but it still freezes (occasionally)...
any idea?
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

sorry, I thought I did, in fact I only changed widget at "customize look and feel"...I've just switched to "clearlooks" theme through open configuration manager.

will report back in a few days if it still freezes
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

ok, here we go:

I'm now using the "clearlooks" theme + set customize-look-and-feel>icon-theme>gnome (previously: mint-x).

it freezes - regularly, as soon as I have three or four "libreOffice" docs open: say I minimize or close one or two, re-open or maximize them, then close or minimize other docs...sooner or later, the taskbar stops responding.

I can confirm it has nothing to do with being or not being online. It also has nothing to do with opening imported word.docs (that is, converted into "libreOffice" docs) or using newly-created "libreOffice" docs: it freezes all the same.

I can also confirm that - when it freezes - I'm still able to right-click on the desktop and recall my home folder + carry on working or launching the terminal and typing sudo reboot.

At the moment I've resorted using "desktop pagers", but it's not the same as having all the windows open visible on the taskbar...

it sounds really strange, no one has experienced the same issue?
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

tested LibreOffice (same machine) on PcLinuxOS LXDE: exactly the same problem occurred.

would this be enough to conclude that it's an LXDE desktop vs LibreOffice issue?

I really hope someone can replicate this problem and offer a solution - things are usually ok so long as only one LibreOffice doc is open, but when there are a few of them...
forseti99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by forseti99 »

I'm using LMDE, i opened 6 documents and nothing, everything works fine.

Have you checked Memory usage? Maybe a memory leak is causing the problem.

Have you tested different documents? Maybe in your tests there is one or more 'damaged' documents.

Which LibreOffice version are you using?
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

thank you forseti99

I'm using
LibreOffice 3.3.2
OOO330m19 (Build:202)
tag libreoffice-3.3.2.2, Ubuntu package 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu2~maverick1

interesting what you say about a memory leak. What should I do to double-check on it?

I'll try and test different documents to see if any of them is actually causing the system to freeze in the meantime.
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

result of the test:

any kind of libre office writer doc cause the system to freeze IF there are a few of them open and IF I (at some stage) close one of them. At this stage, the taskbar becomes unusable (minimizing any of them does not cause any trouble).

question: is OpenOffice much "heavier" than LibreOffice? Would it work fine on an LXDE desktop? I'd rather replace LO with OO so long as there's no answer and see if the problem persists.
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

right, possible solution (still testing it but so far so good...):

1) install Tint2 from Synaptic;
2) move taskbar to the top of the screen (no taskbar is to sit at the bottom of the screen = Tint2 will be sitting there after rebooting the machine);
3) sudo leafpad /etc/xdg/lxsession/Mint/autostart
4) insert the line @tint2 in the file;
5) save file + close terminal + re-boot machine.

At this stage, Tint2 appears at the bottom of your desktop. Any document/application you open can be recalled from there if minimised. Will confirm it really works in a couple of days (but as I said, I've been using it for a while now no problem).
al.adab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by al.adab »

confirmed: it works.
Minterbation
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LibreOffice freezes on taskbar (SOLVED)

Post by Minterbation »

I see this is marked as SOLVED, but so far there is only a work around. I have a little more info on the cause but I can't pin it down.

@al.adab,

I am having the same issue but have found that I can avoid shutting down from the terminal by restarting the xscreen with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and logging back in. I have also found that I can keep LibreOffice from freezing at all if I switch to MetaCity instead of Compiz. Then I can re-enable Compiz once LibreOffice is open. I think it's one of the Compiz plug-ins that's not compatible but I haven't narrowed it down yet.
I think I'm suppose to find something cool to write here but I don't feel like it.

Return to “Others”