Enlightenment (E17) SVN PPA

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Enlightenment (E17) SVN PPA

Post by merlwiz79 »

I created a PPA for packages of the enlightenment SVN.
I haven't made all of the packages yet but I plan on building more.
This is not meant to be stable and there will be bugs.
The only one I have noticed is that any icon theme that uses the xpm format won't load the xpm icons.(Virtualbox only)
If you want to use Network Manager(recommended) don't install emodules-all, emodule-exalt or exalt.
http://launchpad.net/~merlwiz79/+archive/e17-svn
Repo: (Ubuntu 11.04 or Linux Mint 11)

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/e17-svn/ubuntu natty main 
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/e17-svn/ubuntu natty main 
I also took the OpenOffice.org Quick Start emodule and rewrote it for LibreOffice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx1138

Re: Enlightenment (E17) SVN PPA

Post by thx1138 »

Whoooohooooooo.
Thank you. I'll try it tomorrow....
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I made it look much better.
I also fixed some bugs in so other packages.
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

What Mint flavour is meant to be used with your PPA? Is it really the main edition based on Ubuntu?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

thx1138 wrote:What Mint flavour is meant to be used with your PPA? Is it really the main edition based on Ubuntu?
It's only for Linux Mint 11(Ubuntu Based) or Ubuntu 11.04.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Added emodule-trash to the PPA.
I patched it to get use exo-utils.
This allows you to actually use the file manager you want.
I've tested with PCManFM, Thunar and Nautilus.
Just open Preferred Applications and select the file manager you want.
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

I'm so sorry for my last post.
My HD was dying and i didn't recognize it.

On my new HD i installed your PPA onto a fully updated Mint 11 OS, i'm having some minor issues but no show stoppers.

I have to repartition my harddrive, i'll post more detailed experiences within the next three days.

Again: Sry, merlwiz79...
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thank you very much for doing this, it's a lot of fun to play with.

I was wondering if you were able to help with one thing - if you start Nautilus, you get a Gnome desktop on that screen as well, and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting rid of it.

On Bodhi Linux, you can fix it by putting this in the terminal

gconftool-2 -t bool -s /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false
sudo gconftool-2 -t bool -s /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false
but that doesn't work in Mint. Would you know what needs to be done to make it work?

Sorry to bother you with a minor problem like this.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

SallyK wrote:Thank you very much for doing this, it's a lot of fun to play with.

I was wondering if you were able to help with one thing - if you start Nautilus, you get a Gnome desktop on that screen as well, and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting rid of it.

On Bodhi Linux, you can fix it by putting this in the terminal

gconftool-2 -t bool -s /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false
sudo gconftool-2 -t bool -s /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false
but that doesn't work in Mint. Would you know what needs to be done to make it work?

Sorry to bother you with a minor problem like this.
How are you even getting it to show in the menu?
How do you run it?
Are you using this command?:

nautilus --no-desktop --browser
I got it to work by installing emodule-trash and then using Preferred Applications to set it as the default file manager.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

I'm using the File Manager entry under Accessories - the first time I clicked on it, it offered the choice between Nautilus and Thunar, and once I picked Nautilus, that's what it loads. I don't know what command it is using to launch it - I'm afraid I've not yet worked out how to know that with the Enlightenment menu.

I loaded the trash module, and also went looking for Preferred Applications. I didn't find it, but I did find the Menu entry in the settings, and did something that changed the Menu to have a lot more Mint related entries. Now Nautilus loads without the Gnome desktop, and I can use Synaptic from the menu as well, whereas before it would only start as a user, and so I couldn't install anything.

So, my problem is solved, but I'm not quite sure exactly what I did that fixed it, which isn't very helpful, I know. (If you want to know, I could start from scratch, and hopefully work it out - I'm only in a virtual machine, and not using it for anything important.)

Thank you for your help, and your work on getting Enlightenment on Mint.
brim4brim

Post by brim4brim »

thx1138 wrote:What Mint flavour is meant to be used with your PPA? Is it really the main edition based on Ubuntu?
You can use Easy_17.sh script to pull from source and install on LMDE without any issues. You just need to install the dependencies. I got it going no bother. What you need to do is google for the missing dependency with debian in the search to find out which debian package it is in and install that package. Usually you want the onces postfixed with -dev.

Easy_17.sh supports updating too but it is manual. It installs into /opt/E17/ so won't break anything.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I'm slowly updating the PPA with the latest svn downloads from yesterday.
The wizard seems to be broken since they changed it and forced ConnMan to be used by default no matter what.
Not sure if anyone would use ConnMan as it's probably missing features that Network Manager has.
ConnMan can't be installed with Network Manager or Wicd which is what a lot of people use.
Which you can enable in Startup apps.
It has always been disabled in the Debian packages so I built a patch to remove it from being compiled and loaded.
I then had the wizard skip it.
It also has a lot of configurations skipped by default and won't show when set to display them.(menu select, ibar, extra desktop files, default icon theme, battery, cpufreq, temperature, backlight, mixer, composition, favorites and desktop links)
I have setup a default config install for ibar if you use the wizard.
I tried to add default settings for the desktop links and fileman favorites but that one doesn't seem to want to copy the files.
I also forced the profiles to select the menu I created for Enlightenment since the wizard didn't select it like it was suppose to.

The Wizard is only run on 1st login or if you select it to in profiles.
All settings can be fixed through Enlightenment settings.
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

Hey!

I've been playing around with this for the last day and I must say, it works pretty well! I've only had problems with activating the ecomorph session... have you (or anyone else) tried ecomorph with this build? All I get is a black screen with a pointer when I try to log in the ecomorph session...

Thanks again for your work, I had almost given up on a working E17 desktop before I found this topic
wlake

Post by wlake »

There is a nightly build ppa for Maverick, Natty and Oneiric. Ecomorph is supposedly being depreciated in favor of emodules composite with comp-scale. This gets you the wall and scalable windows but no cube. The nightly buid ppa is https://launchpad.net/~hannes-janetzek/ ... enment-svn (no ecomorph module as far as I can see but all others) . Note that you may get some module that doesn't work completely but it is updated frequently. For Ecomorph there is a good description of how to install it in a PCLinuxOS magazine article. Here is a screenshot of my desktop on Lubuntu Oneiric with the Oct 20 build.
2011-10-23-031855_1280x800_scrot.png

Return to “Software & Applications”