Java will not work on some gaming sites????

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Reckinball
Level 1
Level 1

Java will not work on some gaming sites????

Post by Reckinball »

I have been trying to set my sons old laptop up with a the Linux Mint LXDE version. Seems to run really smooth, but I cannot get it to play games using java on some websites...
Example
http://www.nesplay.com/play/R.B.I._Baseball.html

I have downloaded some versions of linux that will work fine on these sites, like pinguy os etc. etc. Anyway I prefer Linux Mint, and would really like to get this working. Any help would be appreciated

The screens starts loading like it should and just goes black and nothing ever happens. :?:
Reckinball
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Java will not work on some gaming sites????

Post by Reckinball »

I guess nobody else can get this working either. Some other linux distro will work on these style sites no problems. Just seems every ubuntu only based distros will not. There has to be some work around. Funny thing is it loads like its going to work, and you just get the black box on the screen but nothing ever shows up.
ronerman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ronerman »

It has worked fine for me on pogo.com out of the box since Mint 9 and also with LMDE. Firefox only though, will not work with Chome. I've not had much luck with other distro's though.
antikythera

Post by antikythera »

I run Isadora LXDE because the earlier kernels play nicely with my soundcard during java games. I have found more recent builds seem to break the sound playback. Pogo is a regular haunt of mine when I have 5 minutes to myself.

The plugin I use is sun java 6 Update 26. I make a point of removing icedtea, cacao and the rest of the openjdk packages if they are present on all my linux installations though.

EDIT: Just tried a few games on nesplay and they all worked fine.
seppalta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by seppalta »

If you don't already have it, install the sunjava6 packages [sun-java6-bin; sun-java6-jdk; sun-java6-jre; sun-java6-plug-in; sun-java6-fonts; sun-java6-javadb], and remove openjdk and icedtea. Probably won't find sun-java6 anymore in Synaptics, maybe still in Software Manager. Big java problems looming if sun-java6 is totally blacked out and openjdk isn't improved.
grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler »

The only sun-java6 packages you are likely to find in any repository, are outdated ones (version 1.6.0_26 / 6u26 or earlier). Look here: http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java

Return to “Others”