Issue with LxPanel and menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
m4daredsun

Issue with LxPanel and menu

Post by m4daredsun »

I use a customized Openbox DE (with Mint theming of course :wink: ) on top of Mint Debian on a netbook to have a super lightweight DE. I recently installed to the so-called Update Pack 3 in Mint Debian, which brought a problem to my desktop.

After installing this update pack, I am not able anymore to use the LxMenu if the panel is in the Top position, see screenshot.
Screenshot-11-g3.jpg
The weird thing is that if I move the panel to the bottom (any other position), my menu works as expected. Does anybody have an idea of what can be the reason for this and how to solve this issue?

I know I could leave the panel in the bottom position or use the Openbox menu's (right click on desktop), but I would like to understand what is behind this weird behavior of the panel/menu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Issue with LxPanel and menu

Post by gosa »

I can confirm this...

I also installed lxde on top of lmde, and have the same behaviour.

My idea was to use AWN on the bottom, and move lxpanel to the top (in the long run I'm thinking about removing lxpanel completely, but that'll only happen when I know I can manage without it)

Is there any way of solving this?
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Did you try putting a new menu from scratch on the top panel? If it works, then remove the old one that doesn't show, or just ignore it?
mti

Post by mti »

I don't use Mint but I had the same problem with Arch Linux.

If you are willing to recompile lxpanel you can apply the patch below. This will fix the problem.

The patch is agains lxpanel-0.5.8, if you have another version it may not apply correctly but you can change the source manually in function menu_pos().

/Mikael
--- a/src/plugins/menu.c 2012-03-08 10:15:39.687374637 +0100
+++ b/src/plugins/menu.c 2012-03-08 10:23:17.131564832 +0100
@@ -162,7 +162,7 @@
*y = oy - h;
if (*y < 0)
#if GTK_CHECK_VERSION(2,18,0)
- *y = oy + allocation.height;
+ *y = 0;
#else
*y = oy + widget->allocation.height;
#endif