Mint 12 RC solved

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 12 RC solved

Post by ibbill » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:20 am

I have not installed Mint 12 taking it for a test run. Question I have tried to right click the top panel and wanted to add items. There seems to be no right click.I usually drag my main items chrome ,terminal firefox and other icons that I use all the time to the top panel will this be possible with the final release.

Thanks for your help Bill ex ubuntu user.
Last edited by ibbill on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 12 RC

Post by bimsebasse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 am

That's not how Gnome Shell works so highly unlikely - I think there's a Gnome Shell extension to do exactly that but it won't be as seamlessly integrated into the top panel as in old Gnome.

The way you're supposed to open favourite apps with the mouse in Gnome Shell is to ram your mouse into the top left corner/click infinity symbol/press windows button and add your favoruite apps to the favourites bar on the left - or better yet, with keyboard only, by pressing the windows button and typing the name of your app until you can launch it by pressing enter. In Mint's Gnome Shell you can also use the favourites bar in the mint menu bottom left. All this may sound difficult and roundabout but for me at least using the keyboard to launch specific applications is a deal faster than clicking icons once you've gotten used to doing it.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:40 am

Moved to this shiny new section from Newbie Questions

wumingism
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wumingism » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:02 am

ibbill wrote:I have not installed Mint 12 taking it for a test run. Question I have tried to right click the top panel and wanted to add items. There seems to be no right click.I usually drag my main items chrome ,terminal firefox and other icons that I use all the time to the top panel will this be possible with the final release.

you will need to install extension frippery's "favourites in panel" extension here:
http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

to add your favourite applications to panel, hit super key (or click activites), launch those applications, hit super key again (or click activites), find your app on the left dock, right click->set as favourite

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:32 am

wumingism Thanks very much for your help will keep that link handy for when I install the final Mint 12. Thanks again.

bimsebasse Great stuff. Seeing as I am older than dirt it took a lot to switch over to Mint. I really just like to have it simple for what I do. Posting a pic of my top panel on Mint 11 everything I need is at the top and just 1 click away from where I want to go or do. I know its not what a lot like but for me the simplest is what I need now.

Sorry forgot to mention all my favourites are in the google bookmark bar.Thanks again.

Bill
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (16.8 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Post by floweringmind » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Use tint2
http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Install
ibbill wrote:I have not installed Mint 12 taking it for a test run. Question I have tried to right click the top panel and wanted to add items. There seems to be no right click.I usually drag my main items chrome ,terminal firefox and other icons that I use all the time to the top panel will this be possible with the final release.

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:23 pm

floweringmind thank you have put that link in favorites. Not sure why the right click on the panel to allow us to add to it was changed but so be it.Just so much simpler for us old guys.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

Return to “Others”