mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:40 pm
Contact:

mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by truexfan81 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:53 pm

ok dvd 64bit edition, all went well, installed all updates, rebooted everything was good. Installed nvidia proprietary driver, rebooted and suddenly the gnome panels are gone, i had to use terminal to launch firefox to post this message. The only way i was able to get to terminal was to launch it from the file browser by clicking "open terminal here"

i tried typing in gnome-shell, just to see what would happen, it get this:

gnome-shell

(gnome-shell:2276): Clutter-WARNING **: Failed to set the markup of the actor 'ClutterText': Error on line 1: Entity did not end with a semicolon; most likely you used an ampersand character without intending to start an entity - escape ampersand as &
Window manager warning: Log level 8: shell_tray_manager_manage_stage: assertion `manager->priv->stage == NULL' failed
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error registering polkit authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject (polkit-error-quark 0)
JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Sat Nov 12 2011 16:04:56 GMT-0500 (EST)

(gnome-shell:2276): St-WARNING **: percentage lengths not currently supported
Window manager warning: Log level 16: The program 'gnome-shell' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
(Details: serial 742 error_code 8 request_code 7 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

gnome-shell-calendar-server[2284]: Got HUP on stdin - exiting

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7638
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm
Contact:

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by remoulder » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Bugs in the RC should be reported at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

User avatar
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 791
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 am

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by monkeyboy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:32 am

compuman2004 wrote:I have yet to install Mint 12 so I can't answer your question. I will be installing Mint 12 on a system that uses Nvida in a couple of days. I should be able to help after that.

@remoulder why can't you help. Your comments do not help to encourage users. If you can't help say so or just say nothing at all. I am tired of your non help attitude. You are only driving users away. I thought we are suppose to help. You only try to put yourself above others.
Dude, its an effort to get information (bug reports) to a place where it will do the most users the most good. While individual assistance is nice it probably won't have the same type of impact as a bug report.
As to Remoulder helping or not helping I suggest you review his posting history so you can get a complete perspective of his activities. Of course You may have done that already (if so I apologize) but your usual first time poster often lacks a firm grasp of other board members histories.
On another matter, welcome to the board. i hope you enjoy it.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:40 pm
Contact:

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by truexfan81 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:16 am

I would submit the report, but i seem to have lost my launchpad password, and i never receive the comfirmation code to change it, so i'm stuck at the moment. as for mint 12, thats on a secondary hdd alongside win7, so i still have mint 9 running happy on my main hdd, so i can wait however long is necessary to get the problem fixed. i did some experimenting with the different modes, i get the same result with both gnome classic modes, with mate, i get a panel but the apps, clock for example fail to load (reminds me of mint 11) :lol:

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7638
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm
Contact:

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by remoulder » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:34 pm

compuman2004 wrote:@remoulder why can't you help
I can't help because the problem reported is quite likely a bug in what is an unreleased, i.e. still very much in testing, version. If everyone that encounters an error expects this to be resolved by others here, how do you expect problems to be identified to the developers and resolved for the final version and the benefit of ALL users?
compuman2004 wrote:Your comments do not help to encourage users. If you can't help say so or just say nothing at all. I am tired of your non help attitude. You are only driving users away. I thought we are suppose to help. You only try to put yourself above others.
I fail to see why someone would use their very first post to say absolutely nothing of any value. You admit not being able to help therefore there was no reason to reply at all, yet you choose to use it to launch a criticism. That's fine by me, it's called free speech which you can use to say (almost) anything you like, however you seem to object to others using that same right if it offends you! You say you are tired of my non help yet have not posted here previously which either means you have just joined and are therefore talking about something you could know nothing; or have been reading the forums for awhile, in which case why haven't you posted earlier and provided some of this 'help' you criticise me for not providing?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:40 pm
Contact:

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by truexfan81 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:47 pm

remoulder wrote:
compuman2004 wrote:@remoulder why can't you help
I can't help because the problem reported is quite likely a bug in what is an unreleased, i.e. still very much in testing, version. If everyone that encounters an error expects this to be resolved by others here, how do you expect problems to be identified to the developers and resolved for the final version and the benefit of ALL users?
compuman2004 wrote:Your comments do not help to encourage users. If you can't help say so or just say nothing at all. I am tired of your non help attitude. You are only driving users away. I thought we are suppose to help. You only try to put yourself above others.
I fail to see why someone would use their very first post to say absolutely nothing of any value. You admit not being able to help therefore there was no reason to reply at all, yet you choose to use it to launch a criticism. That's fine by me, it's called free speech which you can use to say (almost) anything you like, however you seem to object to others using that same right if it offends you! You say you are tired of my non help yet have not posted here previously which either means you have just joined and are therefore talking about something you could know nothing; or have been reading the forums for awhile, in which case why haven't you posted earlier and provided some of this 'help' you criticise me for not providing?
@remoulder: perhaps you can help, i cannot seem to recover my launchpad account, maybe you could submit the error report to allow the devs to fix this bug?

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7638
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm
Contact:

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by remoulder » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:21 pm

truexfan81 wrote:i cannot seem to recover my launchpad account, maybe you could submit the error report to allow the devs to fix this bug?
I can't submit the report for you as the devs may want to contact you regarding it and/or require specific information about your system. Have you just forgotten your account details as there's a forgot password link on the login page, or perhaps you could just create a new one?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:40 pm
Contact:

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by truexfan81 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:29 pm

remoulder wrote:
truexfan81 wrote:i cannot seem to recover my launchpad account, maybe you could submit the error report to allow the devs to fix this bug?
I can't submit the report for you as the devs may want to contact you regarding it and/or require specific information about your system. Have you just forgotten your account details as there's a forgot password link on the login page, or perhaps you could just create a new one?
i have the corrent email address for the account, just don't remember the password, and as i stated earlier, i never receive the confirmation code to be able to change the password.

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:40 pm
Contact:

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by truexfan81 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:52 pm

update, registered again, bug has been reported

uvlt
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:36 pm

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by uvlt » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:44 pm

The problem remains in the main edition too. If use the recommended (tested???) nvidia driver, the systems seems to work ok, but... If i try to use the second screen (my HD projector) as seperate X-screen, all the panels are gone... :roll: :( ...

tjmax
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:34 am

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by tjmax » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:25 pm

If you are using Duel screens, Make sure you choose TwinView If you choose Seperate X Screen you will get what you are seeing.

This would most likely be be a Nvidia Driver issue or incompatibility with the gnome 3 desktop not a Mint issue.

Differences

TwinView

one large screen shared between two monitors


Separate X screen

separate X screens, one on each monitor
allows your window manager (Metacity, XFWM, Compiz, etc.) to be aware that there are two screens


On a side note, If you Log out and swap out of the Gnome 3 desktop you will get your panels and be able to correct the issue so the Gnome 3 desktop works again.

VanR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:54 am
Location: AZ

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by VanR » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:00 am

Happened to me also. Had to do a hard reboot (press the power button) then it was fine.

jaws222
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: mint12 RC no panels after nvidia driver install

Post by jaws222 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:28 pm

It's definitely a Gnome 3 issue. If you use separate x screens when you log in instead of "Gnome" choose "Mate". I'm watching a movie right now on my 37 inch 1920X1080 and it is perfect, all screen tearing issues are gone. Screen tearing was TERRIBLE under Twinview and Gnome. When I tried it under "Gnome" lost my panel and system was inoperable. Had to right click and choose terminal, go in as superuser to get my Twinview Nvidia settings restored. I still can run Gnome Shell on my laptop. I like the Gnome Shell, but unfortunately the dual monitor does not work for me. Will keep Mate on the desktop since I also like it. win/win for me I guess. Good luck to you, try my suggestion.

Post Reply

Return to “Others”