Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Get classic Mint desktop in Gnome shell

Post by esteban1uy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:24 pm

@jhs
There is a solution for the problem of windows maximized under the bottom panel.
Take a look at THIS.

About the other things, some of them are just "cosmetic" problems that can be solved tweaking some settings, some other with new extensions...
I don't know if Gnome-shell is a good thing or not, I'm not such an expert to say so, what I know is that a simple user like me can change many things with just a little code here and there.
The most interesting part of Gnome-shell is the introduction of extensions: little pieces of code written in javascript than can change almost every functionality of the desktop enviroment. And javascript is a very accessible language known by every person who has ever made a simple web page.
Even MGSE is written in javascript!!!

Believe me, I'm not a fan of Gnome and its policy of "we don't care about user opinions: we know what is best" (*), but is the most reasonable option at this time. Maybe that will change in a near future, meanwhile we can do something to overcome the problems and help other users (like us) getting what they need.

(*)
Last edited by esteban1uy on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I only speak Spanish

rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rich_roast » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:02 pm

To paraphrase a meme, "I've seen enough Gnome 3 threads to know where this is going". Please may we keep commentary on Gnome 3 design to a discussion thread, and keep this to resolving technical issues with using the DE? Many thanks.

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:17 pm

rich_roast wrote:To paraphrase a meme, "I've seen enough Gnome 3 threads to know where this is going". Please may we keep commentary on Gnome 3 design to a discussion thread, and keep this to resolving technical issues with using the DE? Many thanks.
Sorry, my fault. I felt a little bit frustrated seeing that no matter how much effort many people put trying to make the things work for the others, there's always someone that keeps saying "that's nice... but worthless afterwards".

Bruce McL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce McL » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:55 pm

I for one am impressed with how much progress has been made in modifying the LM Gnome 3 desktop and how quickly it has been made. Adding one more extension and changing a few settings is easy. Making the two edits is a bit more difficult, but not that bad. Esteban, you have done great work showing the way.

Some next steps for anybody who wants to pursue them are:

- File a bug report with Linux Mint on the Window List extension problem with popup menus when the menu bar is at the bottom.
- File a bug report with the author of the reflections extension on the notification area problem.
- File a request with Linux Mint to include the functionality of the reflections extension in Linux Mint.
- Ask the creator of Minty to add a few pixels to the bottom of the menu bar. I'm definitely liking the Minty theme.

Thanks again to Esteban and everyone who has contributed to this thread.

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:46 am

Daniel4lm presented an ingenious workaround to get rid of the Activities button at the bottom right corner: look at THIS.

If you want the same behaviour in every shell theme you have installed, you can do this:

Open a terminal and do a sudo gedit /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/menu@linuxmint.com/extension.js
At the opened gedit, scroll down to line 789 and you will find this:

Code: Select all

Main.panel._rightBox.insert_actor(activitiesButton.actor, Main.panel._rightBox.get_children().length);
        activitiesButton._label.set_text("-");   
Now change it to this:

//    Main.panel._rightBox.insert_actor(activitiesButton.actor, Main.panel._rightBox.get_children().length);
    //    activitiesButton._label.set_text("-");   
Save, restart Gnome-shell (Alt+F2 r)... and bye bye Activities!
(Remember: you can always use your "Super key" or "Windows key" to go there).

Click to view fullsize

tymeric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tymeric » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi everyone

While trying to revert to the classic desktop I have inadvertently removed all information from the bottom panel after moving it from the top. :oops:

All I have is a black panel along the bottom :cry:

I can right click the desktop and access the terminal....how can I get to the Gnome 3 settings to return the activities/extensions to the bottom panel ?

Thanks in advance

Tymeric

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Use your "Super key" or "Windows key"!!!

Other method:

Let's say you did something that completely screwed your extensions system.
Press Alt+Ctrl+F1 and type root, then enter your password and type reboot.
Your computer will reboot.
(If this didn't work, well... just power off)
Now log-in in Gnome Classic mode (in that mode there extensions do nothing), open a terminal and do a sudo nautilus.
Navigate with the opened nautilus to your extensions folder (/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/), move the problematic extension somewhere else, reboot, enter Gnome mode... ready.
Last edited by esteban1uy on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniel4lm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:40 pm

esteban1uy wrote:Daniel4lm presented an ingenious workaround to get rid of the Activities button at the bottom right corner: look at THIS.

If you want the same behaviour in every shell theme you have installed, you can do this:

Open a terminal and do a sudo gedit /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/menu@linuxmint.com/extension.js
At the opened gedit, scroll down to line 789 and you will find this:

Main.panel._rightBox.insert_actor(activitiesButton.actor, Main.panel._rightBox.get_children().length);
        activitiesButton._label.set_text("-");   
Now change it to this:

//    Main.panel._rightBox.insert_actor(activitiesButton.actor, Main.panel._rightBox.get_children().length);
    //    activitiesButton._label.set_text("-");   
Save, restart Gnome-shell (Alt+F2 r)... and bye bye Activities!
(Remember: you can always use your "Super key" or "Windows key" to go there).

Click to view fullsize
This is an interesting solution, but this only works with the new windowlist extension (ver. 1.0.6). However, a new ver. carries a different item style windows (see below) which can look bad in some shell themes. This can be recovered if the following code(sudo gedit /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/windowlist@linuxmint.com/extension.js - line 126):

if (bottomPosition) {        
            this.actor = new St.Bin({ style_class: 'window-list-item-box-bottom',
                                      reactive: true,
                                      can_focus: true,
                                      x_fill: true,
                                      y_fill: false,
                                      track_hover: true });
        }
        else {
            this.actor = new St.Bin({ style_class: 'window-list-item-box',
        }
replace with with the following code:

if (bottomPosition) {          
            this.actor = new St.Bin({ style_class: 'panel-button',
        }
        else {
            this.actor = new St.Bin({ style_class: 'panel-button',
        }
This part of code (style_class) depends on the content stylesheet.css which is also changed. So we add following code in stylesheet.css (which was present in the previous ver.):

.panel-button {
    spacing: 4px;
}

.panel-button:active,
.panel-button:checked,
.panel-button:focus {
    color: rgba(255,255,255,1.0);
}
This is just my opinion because I like the older look.Problem with right click can be solved with the following code(line 34):

if (bottomPosition)
            PopupMenu.PopupMenu.prototype._init.call(this, actor, 0.0, St.Side.BOTTOM, 0);
        else

if (!bottomPosition)
            PopupMenu.PopupMenu.prototype._init.call(this, actor, 0.0, St.Side.BOTTOM, 0);
        else

tymeric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tymeric » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:44 pm

So Simple !!!!

Just like me :D

Many thanks esteban1uy

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:59 pm

esteban & daniel - have you found a fix for window tabs not expanding past the middle of the panel? Until that is fixed, this is not really a working solution but more of a rough draft.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:12 pm

@daniel4lm
That was really smart!

@bimsebasse
I'm going to study the code of the window list extension to see what can we do, but you're right, these are just workarounds and quick fixes.
On the other hand, by doing this other users realize that there is nothing "unsolvable", and the real Mint coders and themes designers get some hints to give the people what they're looking for. Even more, if we (common users) can make these changes just editing some lines of code, can you imagine what REAL coders could do?

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:41 pm

I have a feeling it's not the window list extension in itself but another extension interfering with it.

Would be nice to have it ready for final release as a fully functional alternative, yes :D
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:15 pm

UPDATE: look at THIS post and ignore the rest.
bimsebasse wrote:I have a feeling it's not the window list extension in itself but another extension interfering with it.

Would be nice to have it ready for final release as a fully functional alternative, yes :D
Ok. There is an alternative.
Use gnome-shell-windowlist instead of mint window list extension.
Download it from HERE, install it the usual way, then restart gnome-sheel, disable Window list extension and enable gnome-shell-windowlist extension.

As you can see from the screen capture, it uses all the available space at the taskbar. On the other hand, I don't like the way it looks, so I'll stay with mint's version and I'm going to figure out the way to make it work like we want.

Click to see fullsize
Last edited by esteban1uy on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:32 pm

That's more like it! Not too pretty, no, but style is easier to tweak than functionality.

When that's done we need to reserve more vertical space for window tabs by squeezing the system icons/buttons a bit closer together. I have described a fix for that on Mint's launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/889667

Also, you'll probably want user name to the right of calendar/clock in the bottom panel? - that can be done simply by disabling and again enabling the move clock extension.

What you have there + panel favourites extension, and tweaked just a little bit more towards perfection, I'm sure most Mint users would prefer over the current MGSE.

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:59 pm

I think that Mint coders have plans for fixing its window list extension.
Take a look at this piece of code (mint's original window list extension, line 300):

_getContentPreferredWidth: function(actor, forHeight, alloc) {
        let [minSize, naturalSize] = this._iconBox.get_preferred_width(forHeight);
        alloc.min_size = minSize;
        alloc.natural_size = naturalSize;
        [minSize, naturalSize] = this._label.get_preferred_width(forHeight);
//        alloc.min_size = alloc.min_size + Math.max(0, minSize - Math.floor(alloc.min_size / 2));
        alloc.min_size = alloc.min_size + Math.max(0, minSize);
//        alloc.natural_size = alloc.natural_size + Math.max(0, naturalSize - Math.floor(alloc.natural_size / 2));
        alloc.natural_size = 150; // FIX ME --> This was set to 75 originally, we need some calculation.. we want this to be as big as possible for the window list to take all available space
    },
I'm pretty sure they will fix it for the final release.

Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniel4lm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:32 pm

esteban1uy wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:I have a feeling it's not the window list extension in itself but another extension interfering with it.

Ok. There is an alternative.
Use gnome-shell-windowlist instead of mint window list extension.
Download it from HERE, install it the usual way, then restart gnome-sheel, disable Window list extension and enable gnome-shell-windowlist extension.

As you can see from the screen capture, it uses all the available space at the taskbar. On the other hand, I don't like the way it looks, so I'll stay with mint's version and I'm going to figure out the way to make it work like we want.

Click to see fullsize
Yes, it's a pretty good alternative. Good idea, esteban1uy.

Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniel4lm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:39 pm

esteban1uy wrote:I think that Mint coders have plans for fixing its window list extension.
Take a look at this piece of code (mint's original window list extension, line 300):

_getContentPreferredWidth: function(actor, forHeight, alloc) {
        let [minSize, naturalSize] = this._iconBox.get_preferred_width(forHeight);
        alloc.min_size = minSize;
        alloc.natural_size = naturalSize;
        [minSize, naturalSize] = this._label.get_preferred_width(forHeight);
//        alloc.min_size = alloc.min_size + Math.max(0, minSize - Math.floor(alloc.min_size / 2));
        alloc.min_size = alloc.min_size + Math.max(0, minSize);
//        alloc.natural_size = alloc.natural_size + Math.max(0, naturalSize - Math.floor(alloc.natural_size / 2));
        alloc.natural_size = 150; // FIX ME --> This was set to 75 originally, we need some calculation.. we want this to be as big as possible for the window list to take all available space
    },
I'm pretty sure they will fix it for the final release.
Yes, I think this is just one piece of code that controls the space available. But things are working normally with the bottom panel extension? Maybe it's the reflection extension.
Last edited by Daniel4lm on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Oh my... is this real?
Final is out!
Let's check it.

Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniel4lm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:05 pm

esteban1uy wrote:Oh my... is this real?
Final is out!
Let's check it.
Wait a minute, there was no notice on the official blog. Strange

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Daniel4lm wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:Oh my... is this real?
Final is out!
Let's check it.
Wait a minute, there was no notice on the official blog. Strange
I don't know if it's official, but that is where I grabbed the 32 dvd and installed it from :-)

Return to “Others”